Highlighted
Not applicable

Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure

I recently cleaned out the fans on my comp and then when i tried to turn it on i got the Diskette Drive 0 seek failure error message, and below it it says that it was unable to find the SATA Hard drive. I have checked the cables, hopefully someone can help.
0 Kudos
40 Replies
Highlighted
Not applicable

Re: Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure

Hi, I am new to this forum and I have just started using an Inspirion 530 Desktop brand new out of the box for about a week and I shutdown my computer properly last night, when I switched it on this morning a black screen came up with "Diskette Drive 0 seek failure" and I don't know what to do.  Can anyone pse help, thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi I am having the same exact problem and having a realy hard time finding a solution. I was wondering if you found one yet that you would be willing to share?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I'm curious to know if you've solved your problem.

I am also having a similar problem that I have not yet fixed.  But I think I might be on to something just havent' proved it yet.  I wanted to see if anyone on this post might have external "diskettes" (ie. memory card/camera/ipod) hooked up at anytime. 

After using a system repair disk that I found, I booted from this CD and tried to repair "sytstem startup".  It said that I have an external device it's trying to boot from (ie.  memory card/camera/ipod etc).  After talking to my syster in law, who was the last to use the computer, she said she was last uploading pics to the computer when it didn't work.  I unplugged that device, and I wonder if it's caught up looking for that "diskette". 

Another weird thing I also found while troubleshooting was that in my bios boot setting that Drive A: was specified as 1.44 floppy, which I don't have. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Hello all,

The error is telling you that your "floppy" drive is not being seen at boot.

I will assume that most of you don't have a floppy drive. So, you need to restart the system and boot in the the BIOS setup screen. Turn off the floppy disk in startup and check that your hard drive is seen correctly. This most commonly happens when the motherboard battery is removed, or has died. Or when a reset was done within the setup BIOS screen.

If you need any more help, you will need to supply your model number and further information. emoticon.Yes.title

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
  Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

Highlighted
5 Iridium

Just to add to what Darrell has advised;  If you don't have a floppy drive in the system, go into the BIOS, and make sure the boot order is set to check your optical drive first (i.e. D:\), the hard drive next (usually C:\), and finally the floppy drive (A:\).

It doesn't matter then if you don't actually have a floppy drive installed, since the system is never going to be able to check for one after booting from a bootable CD/DVD or your hard drive emoticon.Wink.title

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Thanks for the input!  I changed the floppy to none, and put the boot order as said.  That helped and got me beyond the diskette drive 0 seek failure and I was able to run a diagnostic test from a recovery cd.  From there several errors were reported, bootconfig was corrupted was one error.  What a mess, but I was able to restore from there.  OS is back in order. 

Highlighted
5 Rhenium

OK then ....

You are all fixed up now?

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

My systems ...
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14

Highlighted
2 Bronze

Yup,... done. 

0 Kudos
Not applicable

I went to BIOS set up and removed A drive. Now I only have black screen with white curser in top left corner. Brand new 530 from Christmas. Not sure next step!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

Hello,

It would be best for you to start a new question thread. emoticon.Geeked.title

We need to know your system model number, what version or Windows you use, and a description of your problem. emoticon.Yes.title

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

My systems ...
Toshiba Tecra M1

Highlighted
Not applicable

Hello I'm looking to fix my computer. I have a Dell OptiPlex GX260 Series. This Problem occured today. June 12 2009, I got on it this afternoon and everything was fine. I got on line and about 10 mins later it started lagging and having a hard time. So i turn it off (using the button on the tower) and re-started it. It got to the loading screen and right after that it said "Diskette Drive 0 seek failure". Now I've been trying to fix this all day and i haven't found anything. Please help!

Its been referbished  and i got it not this christmas but the one before it. It has a Intel Pentium 4 processor: 2.66 GHz, Level 2 Cache: 512 intergrated. BIOS Verision: A03. And heres other stuff i wrote down in case.

Diskette Drive A 3.5 inch, 1.44MB (Not installed)

Primary Drive 0 .... Hard Drive. Model ST3160021A, Drive Type Auto, Capacity 160GB

Secondary Drive 0 .... CD-ROM Reader, Driver Type Auto, Capaity N\A

Boot Sequence, 1. IDE CD-ROM Device 2. Floppy Device (Not installed) 3. HArd Disk Drive c:

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I have a Dell Deminsion  8100 and i'm having pretty much the same problem, I put a new battery in my computer and now I am getting the Strike F1 to boot and F2 to setup,  It's also not reading the Primary 1 drive either can you please help me.:emotion-7:

Denise

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Great worked like a charm

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

I have a Dell Deminsion  8100 and i'm having pretty much the same problem, I put a new battery in my computer and now I am getting the Strike F1 to boot and F2 to setup,  It's also not reading the Primary 1 drive either can you please help me.:emotion-7:

Denise

If you replaced the battery, you cleared out the CMOS memory and thus must go into Setup (F2 at bootup) and re-enter the drive settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

when you boot it up immiditaly hold alt then hit in this order (e f b) it'll atleast get u past that...alt+e,alt+f,alt+e remeber never let go of alt!!!!!   it'll restart then when it gets th the startup(bios)screen stop pressing than it'll say configuration hit   f1  than...............PRESTO!!!!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

had the same problem and did what every one said but now my cpu is stuck rebooting what did i do wrong inspiron 5315 ? please help emoticon.Crying.title

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Hi, robertallen7671:

You've lost your BIOS settings. When booting, hit F2 to enter system setup. Refer to your user manual for settings, but obviously you need to turn the floppy drive controller to OFF.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

can i find what the appropriate bios settings on line? dont have a users mauel the cpu from a rental company youre lucky if they work lol thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Robert:

Ok, here are some links that might be helpful. Here is your manual. Here are downloads for your machine.

Here are the online instructions for system setup.

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

That should give you enough to go on. Most of these settings are automatically detected but you still must go through and save the settings.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hi

Im also having the "Diskette Drive 0 seek failure error message" when i started up my dell inspiron 530 desktop (1 year old)

i followed your instructions within the bios of boot order, then  it would boot to 2 options
1) startup repair (recommended) when i would select this option, the computer would return with a blue screen error of;

Stop:C000021a (Fatal Sys:error) The inital Session proceess or system process terminated unexpectedly with a start of 0x00000000 (oxc0000185 0x001003c0)
The system has shut down

i attempted the whole process again this time selecting the second option "Start windows normally"
This would return a Noo Boot device available,press enter key to retry
Sato-0 installed
sato -1 installed

Ive attempted using the vista disc that came with my desktop, and have gotten as far as repair but the desktop would return a error message of

session3_initialization_failed.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I'm having the same problem with the Diskette 0 seek failure

But I've tried all that you have mentioned...

Here is my computer info

BIOS info 1.0.15 06/20/2008

Service Tag 2z2qdg1

Processor Type Intel (r) Core (tm)2

Quad cpu q9300 @ 2.50Ghz

Processor l2 Cache 6144KB

Memory Installed 4096mb

Memory Available 4095mb

Memory Speed 800mhz

Memory Channel Mode Dual

Memory Technology DDR2 SDRAM

Standard CMOS Features

Date Mon, Aug 16, 2010

Time 11:24:12

Sata-0 [st3500630as]

sata-1 [optiarc dvd+/-rw ad-]

sata-2 sata port not present

sata-3 sata port not present

sata-4 [none]

sate-5 [none]

Drive A [1.44m, 3.5 in.]...HA HA...I disabled this & it works now!!!

Halt On [All, But Keyboard]

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

For the error message "Diskette 0 seek failure", Dell support guided me to this:

on boot up hit F2 until see "Entering Setup"

Highlight Standard CMOS Features and <enter>

Highlight Drive A and <enter>

Select "None" and <enter>

Save and exit

and never see that pesky message again!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 Rhenium

For the error message "Diskette 0 seek failure", Dell support guided me to this:

on boot up hit F2 until see "Entering Setup"

Highlight Standard CMOS Features and <enter>

Highlight Drive A and <enter>

Select "None" and <enter>

Save and exit

and never see that pesky message again!

Yep,

It always stops that error message.  emoticon.Yes.title

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

My systems ...
Toshiba Tecra M1

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi I am having the same exact problem and having a realy hard time finding a solution. I was wondering if you found one yet that you would be willing to share?

Why this? I know it's something stupid, Could you give more explanation on it?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Merillee.Carlisle

What is your system model number and the version of windows being used?

Are you receiving a "Diskette 0 seek failure" error message?

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Hi

Please could anyone help me solve the following problem with my E521 PC?

I was unable to enter Bios as this PC hasn’t got any PS2 ports so I cleared CMOS settings and now am unable to either enter Bios or even start my PC. What I am getting is an error message saying

Diskette Drive 0 seek failure

Keyboard failure

Invalid configuration information – please run setup program

On the front panel of the PC diagnostic lights 123 are on.

I have tried 3 different USB keyboards, plus PS2 keyboard with USB adaptor.

This Pc runs Windows 7.

Your help will be very much appreciated as I seem to be out of options now.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Some models/BIOS do not have a toggle to turn off the floppy drive. In that case go to peripherals and turn off the floppy disk controller. I hope that saves the next guy the 3 hours I spent poking around.  When you do a BIOS upgrade on a Dimension 530 it turns on the FDC by default even if you do not have a floppy installed resulting in the dreaded drive error Drive 0 not ready or found.   Good Luck

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Hello All

I am also experiencing the same issue with error Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure. I have read through a couple of forums so see what possible solutuions were and so far I have tried changing the CMOS battery but still got the error, I also set Drive A to None but got rid of the error however when the machine goes by Dell Start up screen where you can select F2 or F12 it goes to a blank screen with flashing cursor at top left corner of screen. I have a Dell 530 PC.

The only other solution I have left is to reinstall Windows Vista on machine and hopefully bypass this issue. Any suggestions would be grately appreicated.

Thanks

Jamie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have an Inspirion 530, i just started getting this message...i dont have a floppy drive and have tried to F2 and search for anything that may have changed but i am afraid of making any changes...can you advise what i should do next?  if possible email me directly at < ADMIN NOTE : Email id removed per privacy policy >

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Hi Wolfiehead,

There is a complete description of how to solve the problem in this thread. You'll just have to read through the entire thing.

I'm afraid the volunteers in this forum don't have the time to email everyone that needs help. It's just not practical. That's why we post the answers here.

Good luck!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I did reset the boot drive from removable device to hard disk and disable all others...but it still says diskette drive 0 seek failure?? the only thing i did was install software...help!!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Hi Outlaw12,

Do you have a floppy drive?

By the way, installing software did not cause this problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

darylstrickland - your problem looks to be not the same.

I think you may need to start in safemode to discover the answer.

If you do get Windows started then you need to check your hard drive with diag software such as PCCheckup.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

I have a Dell Deminsion c251 Windows Vista and am having the issus disketta drive 0 seeks failure. everything was working fine untill it said battery voltage low and before i had a chance to go to shops and get a new battery i turned my PC on and thats the message i was given HELP please.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

Hi Stephen,

If you replaced the motherboard battery, then as has been explained in this thread, you need to boot to the BIOS and turn the floppy diskette controller off.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

What if I do have a floppy disk drive, but am still getting this error?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

burgviking2012

it helps to include the computer model and version of windows in a post.

If there's a FD installed and you receive that error message, try opening the open the tower, reseat the power cable and data cable of the floppy drive and motherboard, to see if it makes a difference.

No difference, replace the floppy drive.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Every time I turn on the computer, Diskette drive 0 seek failure shows up and on the bottom Press F1 to continue, F2 to inter SETUP, How do I get disable it?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
9 Rhodium

Every time I turn on the computer, Diskette drive 0 seek failure shows up and on the bottom Press F1 to continue, F2 to inter SETUP, How do I get disable it?

tomwdell

If there is no floppy drive installed, enter the system setup [BIOS] and check that the diskette drive is set to 'off'.

Cannot post anymore info,. without knowing the computer model.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Just changing boot order will not remove message. To fix:

1. F2 at Bios Screen
  2. Select "Standard CMOS Features" > Press Enter
  3. Select "Drive A" > Press Enter