Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 10th, 2011 21:00

Drive won't read blank CDs

When I attempt to burn a blank CD, my drive will whir and click for a few minutes, then eject the CD and tell me to 'Please insert a blank disc'. This happens both in Windows Media Player and iTunes. The drive still recognizes both written CDs and DVDs. I looked for updates to the drives, to see if that was the problem, but was told that they were up to date. I ran the drive troubleshooting program on the Microsoft website, and it said the problem was that the 'media on the disc was not writable'. Except, I've tried multiple blanks from a stack of Memorex discs that I've used without a problem on this computer (an Inspiron 1525) before, and each one is rejected. I put a few in the stereo to see if I had used them and simply failed to label them. They're definitely blank. Does anyone have any idea what the problem is? Has my computer just gotten finicky about these Memorex discs or is there a bigger problem?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 11th, 2011 06:00

Hi Snoteleks,

Click the link below to use the MS CD/DVD fix. That may fix this problem.

By the way, although this is not directly related to your specific problem, I normally recommend people not use Memorex media. If you go to Osprey's toolbox (link below), I discuss media quality and suggest brands to use and not to use.

2 Posts

February 11th, 2011 07:00

Perhaps I didn't make it clear in my post, but I've already run the MS CD/DVD fix. It told me that 'Media on CD/DVD is not writable,' even though the discs I've put in the drive are definitely blank and a kind I've used successfully many times before.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 11th, 2011 07:00

That message, "Media on CD/DVD is not writable", is not what the Fix-it utility reports. I think what you've done is run the troubleshooter.

No Events found!