Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 22nd, 2012 19:00

E6500 SSD not Recognized

I have a Dell Latitud E6500, with BIOS A27 and am attempting to replace my disk with an SSD.  Disk is Velox V60 240GB by Silicon Power.  I have no trouble installing the disk, however the BIOS does not recognize it and Windows 7 will not install.  The default SATA is IRRT, but have tried ACHI as well.  Have also tried changing the eSATA to enabled or disabled with no luck.

Anyone have similar issues that they have overcome? Any help will be appriciated.

Regards,

Nelsnjr

1 Message

October 30th, 2012 13:00

Had exactly same issue today which is how I found this post.  Updated BIOS to A27, changed to AHCI in BIOS - no luck with Win 7 install detecting drive. Rebooted about 5 times and double checked settings and was about to try another drive thinking I had a lemon when I decided to try reseating the current one.  I took the SSD out and then pushed the SSD drive in just a little fimer this time, turned it back on and went into the BIOS and there is was.  The only other thing it might have been other than reseating was I did change the POST boot up to go 'Thorough', but I had already done that about 3 tries, so if you reseat it well, maybe try at least one or two times with the POST boot going Thorough instead of Fast or similar.  Hope it's that easy for you.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

October 22nd, 2012 20:00

Hi Nelsnjr,

The SSD and SATA Hard drive use the same connector on your system. The SATA hard drive is getting detected but if SSD is not getting detected there could be an issue with SSD.

SATA mode comes into the picture only when you are installing an operating system. First the SSD has to get detected in the BIOS irrespective of which SATA mode it is on. I’d advice that you check with SSD requirements from the manufacturer.

Please reply for any queries.

1 Message

January 3rd, 2013 07:00

This is an exact issue that I have, configuration:

Dell E6500 with A27 BIOS

Scandisk 256GB SSD, SSD work flawless with an enclosure.

I tried all possible BIOS settings, E6500's BIOS unable to identify the SSD drive.

Any support from DELL team is appreciated.

Thanks.

1 Message

March 10th, 2013 15:00

I have an E6500 using an Intel SSD on Bios A26.

Today I attempted to upgrade to Bios A27. After the update, no Bootable device found.

I created a bootable jump drive and took the Bios back to A26. E6500 booted without any issue.

Went back to upgrade to Bios A27, in setup there was no HDD (IRRT)  listed.

It would appear that there is a short coming in the A27 Bios that it does not play well with an SSD.

Called support and the fellow said he did not see anything with regard to the issue.

Be curious to see how long it takes to come out with a fix.

3 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 10:00

I am convinced that my problem is due to a microsoft update.  I rehab a lot of laptops and just recently i have 2 (e6500 and e6410) that intermittently recognize the hard drive (ssd).  When the first one showed up I figured the connector was damaged.  On both machines, if I press power button and the HD led comes on and goes off they will boot and run just fine.  However, if the hd led comes on and stays continuous the drive will not be recognized.  The ssd's are from different manufacturers (corsair, ocz with latest firmware) and both laptops have the latest bios.  I have put both laptops on stable counters, touched nothing but the power button, and they will boot properly every 3 to 7 cycles.  I have been IT support 25+ yrs and this is a real head scratcher.  It would seem like a bad connector but on two separate machines???  I remember issues with "latching" back in the day which loosely meant residual charge causing problems with logic circuits.  Does anyone have any thoughts?

3 Posts

February 21st, 2014 17:00

i have been getting SSD reboot problems from the first week. Dell replaced the SSD and now it wont even boot up. I am seriously frustrated. They've replaced the motherboard and the SSD on my E7440 yet the machine still wont boot. Its a beautiful laptop but its the first machine from Dell that Ive ever had problems with.

2 Posts

August 3rd, 2018 16:00

As you, it was the thickness of the SSD the problem. I didn't succeed to **bleep** the screws. But with some papers under the SSD, holes was ok for the screws. I did it, and it works fine!

Thanks,

Vincent 

7 Posts

September 10th, 2018 17:00

Up grading to SSD drive and wanted to also upgrade to Win10.  SSD is recognized once initialized in USB mode but is not recognized when installed internally.  It comes with a spacer to avoid the problem others have indicated as an alignment problem.  SATA settings have no effect.  PSA test passes.  Pre-boot Diagnostics passes Hard drive DST short test and all other tests.  Bios V29.  System info thinks original HDD is still there and eSATA = none  There does not appear to be a Hard drive password enabled.  That's as far as I can get with diagnostics.  I'm absolutely sure the SSD is good.  Not happy with Dell or this laptop right now.  

1 Message

November 22nd, 2019 07:00

Doing this in 2019.

The ssd drive is thinner than the original HDD, you need to put a shim under the ssd so its the same height as the hdd inside the case so the sata port can connect properly.

1 Message

November 28th, 2019 23:00

Hello bro ..I tried to put something under SSD drive and it worked well after long time trying to identify it .... really thenks for you

No Events found!