Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

August 28th, 2008 20:00

Empty optical drive ejects randomly (every 2-15 mins)

I'm having a problem with my recently purchased Studio 1535 laptop....

Specs:

Vista Home Premium (SP 1) (32-bit)

Intel Core2Duo T5750 (2GHz)

4Gb RAM

The problem is that every now and then I hear the optical drive make an eject sound, even though there is no disc in it. It doesn't seem to happen when a disc is inside ...I can play CD albums without them ejecting mid play.

I don't think the behaviour is a serious problem (the noise that the drive makes sounds more or less like a normal eject mechanism). However, it's quite annoying and disconcerting, and I don't think it's 'normal' because we have another Studio 1535 (exactly the same specs) that doesn't behave like this.

If anyone can help me rectify this behaviour I'd be extremely thankful!

Thanks,

Marc

Message Edited by RelicDelic on 09-06-2008 11:43 AM

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 23rd, 2008 18:00

To summarize...

If you are experiencing issues with constant or random ejects of the optical drive, the most likely culprit is the Center Control Cover. It is the plastic strip above the keyboard with all the capacitive touch buttons. If the BIOS update and control cover fail to correct the issue, it may indeed be a problem with the drive itself. The control cover is customer replaceable following the directions in the field service manual. You should be able to contact tech support via chat, email or phone in your region to have a control cover overnighted to you.

October 30th, 2008 10:00

Ok, that didn't work. A technician was out on Friday to replace the hinge cover (with the buttons on it) but the problem still existed. Spoke to Dell again and they sent a second technician out to replace the DVD drive yesterday. I came in to work this morning and got the stuck light and another 6 ejects when I turned it on... bummer.

1 Message

August 9th, 2012 15:00

A customer brought their DELL Studio 1535 in for a couple of problems, one of which was the CD eject problem referred to in this discussion. After fishing around online and trying all the software-related fixes (BIOS update, appropriate optical drive Firmware update), I removed the Center Console cover (or Media Center panel) and looked at the underside of it. I discovered that the flat, 10-pin cable had been folded in such a way that the fold nearest to the connector on the underside of the panel was too close to the connector, and pressure from pushing on the panel from above had compromised (or traumatized) the ribbon cable and the insulation (plastic covering of the cable) had been cut, exposing the wire in the cable. Since these units are probably assembled pretty much the same, your problem may be caused by the same cable-trauma. What I did to fix it was I took my spudger (nylon probe tool, in my case made by Menda) and used it to smooth out the cut area from the other side of the cable, directly behind where the cut was. I just laid it over on the smooth plastic underside of the panel and stroked it a few times with the flat end of the spudger, which apparently was enough, in my case, to fix the problem.

However, if your cable won't play ball, you will need (for DELL Studio 1535 and related DELLs) a Tennrich AWM 20624 80C VW-1 10-pin ribbon cable, about 5.5" to 6" long. I found some new ones on eBay. See the DELL support site for your service manual (enter your service tag for best results. An easy fix for a vexing problem.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 9th, 2012 17:00

Hi Fixerupper1,

Good job. A poorly seated cable is usually the cause of this problem. Thanks for posting.

1 Message

April 21st, 2015 01:00

Hi,

I also finally got this solved with another way. I was uninstalled Intel Rapid Storage Technology (Serial-Ata Driver) drivers.   Working now without randomly ejecting .

1 Message

January 19th, 2018 09:00

Just purchased a refurbished Dell Inspiron 5567 (Tag #FH6BJ22) from the outlet, which has this exact same problem. Purchase date NOV 2017.

Seriously, why is this still even a thing? What's the currently approved solution?

--

No Events found!