cduval04
1 Nickel

Error code 10 Device cannot start

Hi...I just got an insprion 530 desktop with windows vista and TSSTCorp DVD +- RW TS-H653B ATA drive  in November and it has been working fine. One day I go to play a CD and realize there is no CD drive in my comp. So I go to device manager and there is a yellow exclamation point next to it..I click for more info and it says error code 10 device cannot start. This happened twice.The first time I was able to do a system restore to back in April, and the CD drive was fine again, but this time..I waited too long - The restore point where it worked is no longer available...I am thinking maybe a windows update? - I have those set to auto install at 3am I dunno what else it could be.

here is what I have tried:

-uninstalling driver and restarting computer does not work..it tries to install the driver again but fails

-booting into safe mode- does the same thing

-doing a clean boot (disable all startup items and non-microsoft services) same thing happens

bios detects the drive fine

it passes all tests in the dell diagnostics utility

shows up in device manager w/ error code 10

does not show in my computer

what's the deal here? I tried going on dells driver DL site for my model, but there are no driver updates, only firmware updates, I tried dlding the firmware update, but when I run it it says it can't detect the drive!

what do I do..I have a practically new computer that cannot use the CD drive until this is fixed! Help!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
cduval04
1 Nickel

Re: Error code 10 Device cannot start

nvm...I followed the directions in this post http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=143451&query.... and it solved my problem!

did not know that error code 10 and error code 39 were the same...thanks

0 Kudos
CherieT
1 Copper

Hi cduval04,

Just wanted to let you know you guided me to the answer I needed to fix my problem.  Thanks so much for taking the time to post your fix.

C

0 Kudos
Highlighted
lloydb
1 Nickel

Code 10 is Code Blue. The drive is dead (probably the lens). Both my drives went out thusly, but only the DVD function. Both still will do CDs. Nevertheless, I bought an external DVD writer.

0 Kudos
TheRealFireblad
4 Ruthenium

I followed the directions in this post http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_cdrom&message.id=143451&query.... and it solved my problem!

I don't know if it originally linked to it, but that link is (now?) pointing to the forums front page - rather than a specific thread?

It would be beneficial to anyone else with code 10/code 39 errors who search the forums, if you could edit your post, and change the URL to the thread in which you found the solution emoticon.Idea.title

From experience, I've found that:   “Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder”!!

XPS M1730:

Smoke Grey Magnesium Alloy Chassis - with White LED Backlights
17" UltraSharp WUXGA Widescreen TFT (1920 x 1200) with TrueLife
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 @ 2.50GHz (800 MHz FSB, 4MB L2 cache)
4GB (2x 2GB) Patriot Signature PC2-5400 @ 667MHz
DUAL 512MB Nvidia 8800M GTX cards in SLi + 128MB Ageia PhysX
640GB SATA II (2x 320GB WD Scorpio Black 7200rpm)
8x Super-Multi DVD±RW
Creative X-Fi Notebook (ExpressCard) + Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
Integrated 2MP Webcam
Dell Wireless 355 Bluetooth 2.0 Module
Intel Next-Gen Wireless-N Mini-Card
TV Tuner and Dell Travel Remote Control
4-in-1 Flash Card Reader (SSD/MMC/MS Pro/xD)

230W AC Adapter / 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery

Windows 7 Home Premium (64bit)

0 Kudos