Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 27th, 2017 07:00

External hard drive keeps detecting and undetecting on XPS13 9360

Ive owned the dell xps 13 9360 for about a month. But recently ive been experiencing problems accessing my external hard drive.  After connecting to my external (1TB WD passport) USB3.0 compatible hard drive it pops up on my screen but then closes and reopens continuously until I disconnect. Ive updated all my usb relevant drivers and also unchecked the 'allow the computer to turn off this device to save power' in the power management options as recommended by some dell support advice. However the problem still persists. Please advice.

• 

16.7K Posts

July 27th, 2017 11:00

Siddarth Machado,

After researching this issue I have seen this to be an issue with WD hd's. Some users have stated to update the firmware on the hard drive. Also, did you have the hard drive connected to another OS prior to Windows 10?  You also may want to contact Western Digital Support for support on the external hard drive.

July 28th, 2017 03:00

Thanks for your response. I did read up on the issues with WD hard drives. But before trying those recommended fixes, I first changed the the connector cable. Seems to work fine now. Thanks for the response

2 Posts

August 17th, 2018 10:00

Hi everybody

Recently I bought XPS 9360 8th generation.

I have this problem too. It does not detect my external hard drive (WD 1T).

What can I do?

Thanks for attention.  

2 Posts

August 17th, 2018 10:00

Hi 

Recently I bought XPS 9360 8th generation.

I have this problem too. It does not detect my external hard drive (WD 1T My Passport).

What can I do?

Thanks for attention.  

No Events found!