Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 23rd, 2012 00:00

Firmware Update for DELL Inspiron N4010

Hi everyone,

After replacing the hard drive of my laptop model DELL Inspiron N4010 with Momnetus XT, model ST95005620AS, I have got the problems; the drive produces annoying sounds (freeze and clicks) and high temperature during operation. SeaTool provided by Seagate reports no errors, and I've already follow the instructions suggested by Seagate Technical Support to make a clean installation of the Windows, but nothing is improved. :(

I'm searching on this site for the Firmware updated released by DELL, but I could find only as shown in the link, and it's not compatible with my computer. http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/DriverFileFormats?c=us&s=bsd&cs=04&l=en&DriverId=R318819 

Does anyone know other sources, or does DELL only provide this update to the models listed in the link?

Thanks so much in advance,

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 05:00

Hi G. Milkyway,

Did you purchase the drive from Dell? There is no reason why the commercial Seagate firmware will not work.

April 23rd, 2012 06:00

Hello Osprey4,

No, I did not buy it from DELL. It is the upgraded one that I bought from Seagate distributor.

The problems with the drive, ST95005620AS, are that it produces noises (freezes, and especially clicks), and high temperature. The firmware of the drive is already up to date (SD28).

Seagate Technical Support suggested me to contact DELL for the latest firmware that could fix the problems, but I could not find the correct one for my model, DELL Inspiron N4010.

Best regards,

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 23rd, 2012 13:00

Dell is not going to provide firmware for a retail drive. I'm surprised Seagate responded that way.

I think you're right to worry about the clicks, freezing and temps. Make sure you've got current back-ups (of course, this is standard procedure) and test the drive once in a while. I think they give you a 3 or 5-yr warranty.

April 24th, 2012 02:00

Dear Osprey4,

The drive is a 3-year warranty.

Do know whether DELL has released any new Firmware update for Momentus, ST9320423AS, of DELL Inspiron N4010? This drive came with the firmware D005SDM1. Is it the current one or not?

Best regards,

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 24th, 2012 12:00

I only saw one f/w listed for that model drive, so I assume there's no update.

April 28th, 2012 04:00

Dear Osprey4,

Thank you so much indeed.

I just wonder whether this DELL, Inpiron N4010, supports SSD or not. Can you tell me and show any relevant information? And if yes, how to restore the factory recovery image on SSD? Or it needs a clean installation?

Thank you,

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 28th, 2012 04:00

Yes, your laptop supports an SSD hard drive. No, you cannot copy the restore partition. Instead, you should create a set of recovery DVDs. To use an SSD, you need a firmward update to add TRIM support, as described here.

April 28th, 2012 05:00

Thank you.

I have a set of recovery DVDs created by using software, Dell DataSafe Local Backup, provided by DELL since I first used my computer (no partition created at that time). So you mean that I can use these DVDs to install/restore Windows on an SSD, right?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 28th, 2012 07:00

Yes, that should work.

April 28th, 2012 22:00

Thank you so much.

August 3rd, 2012 07:00

Dear Osprey,

Would you mind telling me whether Dell Inspiron N4010 supports other SSD products besides Samsung?

I believed that Samsung products listed in the link, en.community.dell.com/.../19332633.aspx, have already been out of stock.

Kind regards,

No Events found!