Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 2nd, 2014 09:00

Firmware update fails - Seagate ST3600057SS, Dell file SAS-Drive_Firmware_V38WK_WN32_ES68_A07

Hi

I am trying to update drive firmware on two Dell branded Seagate ST3600057SS drives. These show in Open Manage as firmware ES02, with the current version being ES68

When I check the support site, file SAS-Drive_Firmware_V38WK_WN32_ES68_A07 is offered for the server asset tag.

When I run the file, and select Install, it says:

"The version of this Update Package is newer than the currently installed version. Software application name: ST3600057SS Firmware

Package Version: ES68

Installed version: ES02

Would you like to continue with this update?"

When selecting "Yes", a box immediately appears saying "Success. The update completed successfully". On the screen behind this, it is showing "Running validation..."

The firmware therefore never applies. Everything else on the server including the Perc 5/i is up to date.

The same thing happens (although silently) when trying to run the update via suu, it immediately says it has been applied successfully (green tick) but nothing gets applied.

O/S is Server 2012 R2.

No problems with RAID controller, configuration or any background processes or drive failures.

Thanks in advance.

81 Posts

Hi

Further to my previous post, I have now been able to successfully update the drives to ES68.

To do this, I first had to install ES65 using file SAS-Drive_Firmware_0KC00_WN32_ES65_A06.exe

Once completed, the ES68 firmware installed properly.

Strange as ES65 is not listed as a pre-requisite install before going to ES68.

Anyway, case can be closed, information here hopefully will help other people in future.

81 Posts

Hi

Further to my previous post, I have now successfully updated the drives by first installing ES65, A06 using file SAS-Drive_Firmware_0KC00_WN32_ES65_A06.exe

Then the ES68 applied succesfully.

Strange as there is no pre-requisite listed on the installation instructions for ES65 to be installed first.

Posting this here in the hope it helps someone else in future.

Case can be closed!

81 Posts

Hi

Further to my previous post, I have now been able to successfully update the drives to ES68.

To do this, I first had to install ES65 using file SAS-Drive_Firmware_0KC00_WN32_ES65_A06.exe

Once completed, the ES68 firmware installed properly.

Strange as ES65 is not listed as a pre-requisite install before going to ES68.

Anyway, case can be closed, information here hopefully will help other people in future...

No Events found!