Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2008 19:00

Getting low disk space message on D:recovery

I get the low disk space message for the D: recovery drive and I do everything that is suggested it still doesn't free up the disk.  Any ideas on what I am doing wrong.  It is on the inspiron 1521 running vista home premium.

Trudy

2.7K Posts

May 29th, 2008 00:00

http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=dim_harddrive&message.id=137703#M137703

Hi Trudy

Read the link above it will tell you what you need to know !

To be short here you need to go to system backup and recovery

and select some other drive than D:\Recovery it is way to small

to use for windows backups !

Use a usb drive or CD\DVD,s ,then go to D:\ AND remove the

backup folder leave all of the other folders or you can not 

recover back to the day you got your computer from Dell !

Read the Link above for more help.

Good Luck 

January 2nd, 2009 13:00

Thanks, have the same issue, unable toaccess the link?  Any suggestions on a way to get to the info....?

3.7K Posts

January 2nd, 2009 14:00

Hi Redraider76, Your D: Recovery should not be used to store files or folders. The only folders that are supposed to be in there are, Dell, Program Files, Sources, Tools, Users, Windows. The reason being, if you get an virus in there and the said mentioned folders were to get infected and damaged, you wont be able to restore your system back to the factory settings in the event of an crash. Either burn to disk, or move onto an USB stick, or create an folder in My Documents, and move them there. You should do regular backups anyway.

57 Posts

January 2nd, 2009 15:00

I am running Vista Home Premium 32 bit and have NIS and Norton Save and Restore 2.0 on a Dell XPS 420.  I have three partitions in Computer: C drive is my normal drive, D Drive is the Dell Recovery partition containing the Norton Save and Restore backup data, and E drive is my Factory Image.

I did a Factory Image reinstall of my computer some weeks ago and all is well except the D Drive partition that Norton Saves it's backups to is 3/4 full of backups from before I did my reinstall.  When I try to go into Run and Manage Backups, these backups don't show up to delete through the programme and I can't do any new backups till I clear some space off the partition.

Can I go into Computer, then into the Norton partition and manually delete the info there?

What's in the partition is a folder named Norton Backups. Inside the folder is an additonal folder called File Backup Data and 2 files- the first is C_drive040.v2i and the other is HOME.sv2i. The files are dated from before my reinstall and the File Backup Data is from 3 weeks ago.. an attempted File and Folder Backup I think.

I'd like to just right click and delete, but don't want any troubles..

Thanks

Peppurr101

3.7K Posts

January 3rd, 2009 02:00

Hi Peppurr101, I would remove Norton and all those backup from your D Restore. Only keep the said mentioned folders in the post above, which are needed in case of an factory type restore.

57 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 03:00

Ooops.. sorry for the double post

:emotion-10:

57 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 03:00

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.  My factory image is on partition E and my Norton is on D.

Do you mean to keep the Norton folder and the Files and Folder and delete the rest?

Thanks

Peppurr

3.7K Posts

January 3rd, 2009 06:00

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.  My factory image is on partition E and my Norton is on D.

Do you mean to keep the Norton folder and the Files and Folder and delete the rest?

Thanks

Peppurr

Hi Peppurr, Your dianostics are useally on E, and your Restore is on D. Have a look to see were have these folders, and that will be your restore. They are, Dell, Program Files, Sources, Tools, Users, Windows.

57 Posts

January 3rd, 2009 17:00

Hi Robin,

The only folder on my D drive is 'Norton Backups'. The drive that I went to to do my Factory Image reinstall was E.. dunno why.. that's just the way it came.  Even the Dell techie who was trying to help me do my install thought it was D..

The Norton Backups folder contains the restore point and File and Folder Backup Norton made before I did my Factory Image reinstall.  I think when I reinstalled, the C Drive went back to Factory Image, but the D Drive didn't.  The backups are there and taking up space, but because the Norton programme is on  my C drive, it can't 'see' them so they don't come up as restore points to delete through Norton.

What I did today was rename the Norton Backups folder to Norton Backups Old and deleted a few of files that were modified before my Install to make room and then tried to do a backup through Norton.  This worked.  Norton created a new 'Norton Backups' folder and backed up there.

I have a RAID configuration and all my important stuff is backed up on an external drive, plus I have plenty of restore points I created through Windows.. so I just want one backup through Norton to be on the safe side.. the partition is too small anyway..

thanks

peppurr

No Events found!