Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 9th, 2014 13:00

HDD Failure after 13 Months!

How long is a hard drive guaranteed for? I bought a Dell Inspiron 15r se in December 2012. My Warranty expired in December 2013 and HDD has today failed (error code 2000-0142 ePSA). Has anyone else had similar problems with this type of laptop?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 9th, 2014 14:00

How long is a hard drive guaranteed for? I bought a Dell Inspiron 15r se in December 2012. My Warranty expired in December 2013 and HDD has today failed (error code 2000-0142 ePSA). Has anyone else had similar problems with this type of laptop?

ppaula40

For only the length of the hard drive's, or the Laptop's warranty.

I've had new hard drives fail in less that 30 days.

With Laptops, I've found it always best to buy the longest warranty available, when purchasing it.

Bev. 

10 Posts

February 11th, 2014 03:00

Hi,

Hard drives usually come with a 3 to 5 year Manufacture warranty. Unfortunately this does not cover loss of data.  There is usually a 1 year Vendor warranty, this should not affect your manufacture warranty. Like all hard drives they are a piece of electronic equipment that can go at any time. We see many hard drive come into us for data recovery that the users may have had for only a short time. The secret is to make sure you have a good back up in place.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 11th, 2014 04:00

Actually 3- to 5-year warranties are now almost exclusively the province of high-end or enterprise drives.  1- or 2-year warranties are most common on aftermarket consumer-grade hard drives.

Read into that what you will - the hard drive market is dominated by just two large players (WD, Seagate) plus one smaller one (Toshiba).

2 Posts

February 11th, 2014 10:00

Thanks, I'll check the manufacturer warranty :emotion-1:

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 11th, 2014 11:00

Thanks, I'll check the manufacturer warranty :emotion-1:

ppaula40

If the hard drive, is an after market drive you purchased, then there should be a manufacturer's warranty on it, but if the hard drive was installed in the computer when you purchased it from Dell, then it has a Dell warranty.

Bev.

95 Posts

February 11th, 2014 17:00

if dell covers it, ask 'em to replace it with a western digital HD.... if the HD is a seagate and they have a warranty, dont use it!!!!..you'll just get another seagate. i would take an Hitachi before a seagate anyday...

anyway

good luck

10 Posts

February 12th, 2014 01:00

In the Data Recovery field we see all types, and there is no trend towards a specific manufacture. Based on this we recommend anyone out there to make sure a backup is in place asap. A hard drive can fail within the first week irrelevant of make.

No Events found!