Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2013 00:00

HDD Password Removal

Hi, recently i forgot my admin password to recover that i changed all passwords in set up-security-boot password, admin password, system password, hdd password. Now it is showing error for HDD password..!!!

Plz help me out for this problem. Model is Dell Inspiron N5010

2K Posts

January 21st, 2013 05:00

Hi goreabhay13,

I request you to send me the system service tag, Account holder name, shipping address, phone number and email address through private message. Also let me know the complete error code. I will check with the relevant team and let you know if the Hard drive password needs to be reset, if not can suggest alternatives.

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

79 Posts

January 21st, 2013 07:00

If you have a unique BIOS Password that has been forgotten, Dell's recommended data recovery provider Gillware may be an option as they have methods to hack around the HDD BIOS passwords that 99.9% of IT providers will not.  Their number is 877-624-7206.    This will only make sense if you have valuable data that is inaccessible on the drive.  If you are just trying to get the computer up and running, it will be cheaper just to buy a new drive and re-install the O/S.

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2013 17:00

Hello Dell-Kiran, same model number of laptop. i am getting the same error: please type in the hard-drive password and press enter

any suggestions?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 04:00

If you don't need the data on the drive, just replace it with a new one after clearing the password from the BIOS setup (you'll have to call Dell for that).

If you do need the data on the drive, you'll need to send it to a data recovery service to have the password removed.  There is no way to remove a lost hard drive password without sending the drive for data recovery - you CAN clear the password from CMOS so the new drive won't inherit it, but once the drive is set, the user cannot remove it.

March 23rd, 2013 07:00

Hi, I have resolved that problem. 

You can refer How-to Geek http://www.howtogeek.com/ you will get steps by snap

Or

remove your cmos battery and reinsert it, for resetting all settings (May not work for some times)

And left is best luck, If this doesnt your hdd will become scrap..!!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 23rd, 2013 13:00

Won't do a thing either for the CMOS password or the hard drive password - neither is stored in battery-backed CMOS memory.

7 Posts

March 23rd, 2013 16:00

goreabhay13, where in the geek website is the solution?

2K Posts

March 26th, 2013 03:00

Hi HTTP80,

I will be glad to help you. Request you to provide the system service tag through private message. I will check and let you know what needs to be done.

3 Posts

May 10th, 2013 08:00

Hello,  Can you also help me with reseting the HDD password. I am a PC Tech and customer got this dell mini 1012. Had Bios passowrd but I cleared that. Now asking for HDD password.  No Code - just says Enter HDD Password.....

Service TAG is unreadable - starts with GF9?4??

Thanks in advance

Annie

2K Posts

May 10th, 2013 16:00

Hi Annie,

It is unfortunate that the HDD password is being prompted. Request you to follow the below steps:

(1) Turn on the computer.

(2) Keep tapping F2 key at the Dell logo, BIOS screen appears.

(3) Make a note of the system service tag.

Or check for the tag on the purchase invoice.

Once the system service tag is provided I will check and let you know what needs to be done.

1 Message

May 10th, 2013 16:00

Hi,

I cannot figure out how to remove the password to my HDD even when going into bios.  I purchased an Dell Inspiron N4110 model this week and put the password on  (long story) and now I want it off.  After going into the bios I cannot figure out how to do this and would greatly like to know how.  I have no desire to remove the battery to clear CMOS (if this indeed, works) so any help would be appreciated.  Searching google hasn't help much so I'm reaching out to Dell Support directly for this.

System Service Tag: <ADMIN NOTE: Service Tag removed per privacy policy>

Thank you very much!

EDIT: I went into bios, entered original password and pressed enter twice (leaving new/confirmation blank) and now it boots without a prompt!

2K Posts

May 10th, 2013 17:00

Hi CoopaTroopa,

I will be glad to help you. Request you to provide the error message that gets displayed when you input an incorrect password along with the hint code.

Do reply with your answers.

3 Posts

May 11th, 2013 07:00

Hello Kiran K,

HDD password reset

The Service Tag for Dell inspiron mini is [Amin Note: Service Tag Edited per TOU policy]. Unfortunately I cannot get the other info you asked. Mini has been thru a couple of owners and not sure of customer name, place of purchase of the computer, shipping address, email address and phone number of original owner.....thanks in advance for you help

Annie

3 Posts

HDD password reset

Also Error message that  gets displayed when enter invalid hdd password is "HDD password invalidate press any key"  no codes are present

Annie

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If you can't contact the registered owner, return the system for a refund - otherwise, you're going to see the price you paid increase by the cost of a mainboard and hard drive.

No Events found!