Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 16th, 2015 11:00

HDD Upgrade Problem. How to transfer all my data?

as a proud owner of an Alienware 14, i am really dissapointed to report that my harddrive is slowly dying. i bought a new 2.5 inc 1TB hdd and ran into the problem of not being able to copy my files to my new harddrive.

i have tried multiple programs but nothing seems to work. i am really worried that my old harddrive will stop working and i would have to buy windows and everything all over again.

its not the first time i have seen this problem. my brother and i both bought an Alienware 14 at the same time, after 3 years both our harddrives started showing problems in the same month.

if there is anyone who can help me, please do. it would be sad to see all my money gone.

1 Rookie

• 

11.1K Posts

November 16th, 2015 17:00

I am not sure what you are asking.

You should use Dell Backup and Recovery to create a USB drive containing Windows that will allow you to re-install Windows on a new hard drive. This is first priority.

Once you did that I would have suggested some sort of cloning software like Acronis to create an image of the current hard drive. However given that you say your hard drive is already failing, this may or may not give satisfactory results.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

November 17th, 2015 12:00

Alienware Respawn is Dell Backup and Recovery with a different skin.

2 Posts

November 17th, 2015 12:00

so using an USB drive and the Dell Backup and Recovery i should be able to reinstall Windows on my new HDD? So do i just plug my new harddrive( after formatting) in and the USB( on wich i made the backup) and it should start installing?

That sounds almost to easy. it seems i can't find DBaR, but i quess AlienRespawn will do just fine right?

Thank you for your help

November 19th, 2015 05:00

Is the disk dying or dead because of a mechanical, or software issue?

If dying because of mechanical issue it may be possible to clone the HDD to your new replacement disc.

Macrium Reflect free edition would work when the clone is complete you're done according to all the video tutorials out there.

Good luck

No Events found!