Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2011 20:00

HDD replacement help

Hello, Yesterday my brother gave me an Inspiron 6000 with Windows XP and when first on it I realized the HDD is on it's way out. So looking at some new ones, I am going to need help. The original is a western digital ultra ata 40G HD. I've read that 128G is the max....

If I purchase a new HDD that is compatible, what would I need to reinstall Windows, drivers, etc.... This computer did not come with a system restore disk or Windows software. 

Any advice on what HDD to get and how to reinstall windows/drivers would be great. Thanks

Nolt

6.4K Posts

August 5th, 2011 23:00

The Inspiron 6000 uses a parallel EIDE/ATA drive.  The BIOS supports a maximum of 128 GB, but since the largest drive less than that limit is 120 GB, that is the practical limit.  Provided you are using an operating system  that supports 48 bit LBA you can use a larger drive, but in order to avoid data corruption you must make at least two partitions.  The first partition is for the operating system and must not be larger than 120 GB in size.  The remaining partitions can be used for data and the number and size are up to you.

It is possible to obtain replacement disks from Dell provided you have all the data from the registered owner.  If you live in the U.S., you can use this form:  Dell Replacement Disk.  If you live outside the U.S. you must contact Dell Tech Support for your region and request the disk.  Use the information requested in the replacement disk form as a guide to the information you will need to provide the Dell Representative.

No Events found!