Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2014 21:00

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N reads all discs but will not burn

i recently purchased a dell inspiron 15r. the system is windows 8 64-bit and it has 6gb of ram and a 500gb hd. the laptop is not even a full 2 months old and the drive will not burn only read. i try itunes, wmp, nero,.etc... nothing works. i assume the problem is the drive. any help????

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 14th, 2014 05:00

4 Posts

May 14th, 2014 21:00

this command was accepted but it did not solve my problem

4 Posts

May 15th, 2014 18:00

Yes it does. It even attemps to burn. The process always ends right after it begins and says that the burn failed. Unknown error

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 15th, 2014 18:00

When you insert a blank CD or DVD, does the drive detect that an empty disc is in the drive?

2 Posts

January 6th, 2015 20:00

I am having the same problem with the same disk drive.  It can read just fine but will not burn.  Process ends right after it begins.

2 Posts

January 7th, 2015 15:00

I apologize for the lack of detail.  I am unable to burn audio CD-Rs using iTunes, Winamp and Power2Go.  I have tried blank Memorex and Sony CD-Rs, neither work.  I will try the Nero InfoTool and see if I can find anything out.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 7th, 2015 15:00

Ok, that error isn't much help. You'll need to provide more detail about the program you're using to burn, the media (CD, DVD+R, DVD-R) and brand/speed or the media, and the type of disc (audio CD, video, data, etc.). One suggestion would be to try the Nero InfoTool to diagnose the problem.

4 Posts

January 7th, 2015 16:00

i believe this problem is due to the windows updates. when i first created this post i lost my burning capability after a windows update. another update corrected that problema week or two later. if im not mistaken that was may 2014.  in december we received another update which caused the same problem to occur again. i have been able to burn about 2 cds since the update but i still have know idea how to correct the problem.

i downloaded the nero infotool now what info do you need me to add to this post?

2 Posts

May 14th, 2015 07:00

Apologies for replying to an old post.  I also have this same problem.  I am using Cyberlink Power2Go and have also tried windows media player.  I seem to be able to write DVDs but not CDs.

I've also tried the Microsoft fix above with no luck.

Could someone suggest what I need to do to fix this issue.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 20th, 2015 17:00

Hi Cooks43,

What model is your Dell and what operating system do you have? Can your drive read CDs with no trouble?

1 Message

July 9th, 2015 16:00

I have the same problem. After windows update my ROM is not working.

*Dell Inspiron 15 3542

*Windows 8.1

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 13th, 2015 05:00

Hi Chadrueul,

Did you try Fixit? Did you try any of the suggestions made above in this thread? Did you try anything?

May 23rd, 2016 13:00

Hello, 

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 with an Intel i5 (5th generation) 5558. My CD/DVD drive is HL-DT-ST DVD+- RW GU90N operating on Windows 10 64-bit. I purchased this laptop in December 2015. I have been trying to reproduce music and I have noticed that the driver stops. When I go to the control panel to see what's happening the next message is given to me:

"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)

To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

I have tried uninstalling the driver but the problem returns. 

I hope your comments.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

May 24th, 2016 17:00

HI salvadorpiano,

Please try the hardware troubleshooter first, then post back with the outcome as well as any messages you get. Don't just say, "It didn't work", but describe what happened and any indication as to what the troubleshooter did.

2 Posts

May 30th, 2016 23:00

HI there, this is the only post I found online where there is an open chat about the disc drive Im using.

HL DT ST GU 90 N (DVD RW Drive D:) on my computer. It does not always read Cd's - lockes out as soon as I am ripping something onto the computer from the cd...

It wont take any DVDs to read nor for burning... I tried a lot to fix it - I do have an external one now... but I still would love and enjoy to have that going....

Please help if you can - I would be really happy.

Thank you everybody,

Grandioso

No Events found!