Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 13th, 2014 21:00

HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N reads all discs but will not burn

i recently purchased a dell inspiron 15r. the system is windows 8 64-bit and it has 6gb of ram and a 500gb hd. the laptop is not even a full 2 months old and the drive will not burn only read. i try itunes, wmp, nero,.etc... nothing works. i assume the problem is the drive. any help????

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 4th, 2016 13:00

Hi Grandioso,

What is the model of your Dell and operating system?

2 Posts

June 4th, 2016 14:00

Hi, I think it's a 15r but I'm away at the moment so can't check. I'll check as soon as I'm back sometime this week. I ended up buying an external drive but have since upgraded to Windows 10 and haven't re attempted this. Again I'll check when I'm home.

2 Posts

June 4th, 2016 15:00

Hey Osprey4,

I did see that question coming :-) In terms of me not having a dell.  am using a Toschiba Satelite Pro Notebook and I had quit a hard time in keeping it maintained. After the last 12 month things are doing well and the last part is my hard drive...

BUT I could not find a forum where people would talk about my hard drive model..

I hope its not a problem? I am using windows 7 professional. Can send you information  as needed...

It would be so mind blowing if  we could find a solution?

Thanks again.

Grandioso

March 10th, 2017 21:00

THIS IS THE FIX:

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Warning There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before you change the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class value is CDROM.

If you see UpperFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

If you see LowerFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

1 Message

May 27th, 2017 11:00

This does not work for me. I can't see the filters. I have done a checkup for hardware (there were no problems). When I insert a cd it starts rotating, then it stops. It won't show that a cd is inside. I have the same disk-drive and I did an update from windows 10 recently.

June 5th, 2017 15:00

Same problems  GU90N A101 e-e-pron firmware it is fail .more questions

10 Posts

October 27th, 2017 16:00

I wasn't surprised to find others having problems with the GU09N, but this thread is not new! Looks like Dell is still trying to pawn off these poor drives. My new purchase was an Inspiron 15-5000 series 5700 and I received it about 1.5 weeks ago. First shot at this drive and I could not read either CD or commercial Audio drives more than 5% of the time! Second replacement, refurbished one of course, yielded reliable Audio and data, as much as I tested, but could not handle Commercially made Movie disks. In all failure cases, the drive mostly would not load a disk at all with File Explorer not seeing it. In a few cases it got past that point , but failed elsewhere, like a movie would start playing (would not always autoplay) and hang about 2-4 minutes into it, hanging the application (all 3 I tried) and even cause an auto-reboot of my PC. I now have 3rd drive in and its worse than #2. Back to sporadically loading/reading CD/DVDs, mostly able to use Audio disks, same Movie failures.  Dell Hardware Diagnostic tests fail, mostly can't recognize disk in the drive, or fail during read operations when it does load. After about 24 man-hours of debugging/testing along with Dell Technical Rep, it seems hopeless and I can only warn others : Do NOT buy a system with a after-market optical drive installed. The date on the drive currently installed is 6/30/15! You are NOT getting something new inside! I'm looking forward to seeing what Dell can do about this, but certainly not holding my breath when all drives shipped to me are labeled PASSED tests. Btw: ALL my disks run on 2 older Dell PCs, one with W10 Anniversary Version, and one with XP. My current system is W10 Creator Version. Sorry I can't help other with problems to this cheap drive, but can make it know what Dell is installing in current machines!

1 Message

December 4th, 2017 09:00

I have the same issue.  I got this computer brand new from BestBuy with this exact DVD burner and it will only burn Memorex CD-R discs. It will not burn Sony or Verbatim. Where can I find the firmware updated for this burner???  It's a shame that the Dell rep hasn't provided any help or solutions.  

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 4th, 2017 10:00

Where can I find the firmware updated for this burner??? 

Usually for your model of PC at dell.com

Interesting that you have problems with Sony or Verbatim and not Memorex CD-R because the latter are considered junk.

October 28th, 2019 05:00

Worked fine with other Drive more Powered ,now can use CD/DVD Burn .

1 Message

November 21st, 2019 15:00

What other drive did you choose?  External?  Mine stopped burning just after the latest update, mid Nov.  

1 Message

September 1st, 2020 13:00

I am using a HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU90N on a Dell Inspirion 5570 running Windows 10, completely up to date at the time of this posting. My drive will only read discs, it will not burn them. (CD & DVD) It errors out one way or another when I try to make any kind of disc.

February 1st, 2021 20:00

Thanks for your insight. 

I just bought a XPS8940 desktop and have been having problems with the HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU9ON CD drive.  I converted some vinyl records to WAV and used Express Burn to create a CD Audio Disk with CD Text written to it.  Most often the problem is that the CD Text is not written.  The Express Burn software sometimes reports that the drive may not be able to handle CD Text or custom track pauses (no pause).  I get similar errors using BurnAware software.  All software is updated and I am burning disk at once. The problem happens with both CD-R and CD-RW. 

If I use the same software and disks with my Inspiron laptop, everything is fine.

It is very disappointing to have a low quality CD drive in a higher end machine.  I'll be contacting Dell support since this PC is only 2 months old.  I'll be on the lookout for wasted time based on your experience.  Thanks again for the heads up.

1 Message

October 16th, 2022 09:00

I have same problem and tried the registry fix, but still doesn't burn usable discs.

No Events found!