Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 18th, 2004 02:00

Hard Drive fan for cooling

I would like to install a Hard Drive fan for my Dimension 8250.  A very quiet one

Can anyone provide some insight or purchase links ? I have 2 Western Digital HDs .

I am open to other fan cooling options ,except water cooling. 

45 Posts

September 18th, 2004 19:00

I'm looking for the same thing.  No one has replied to my post on the subject, either.  I have read about hard drive coolers, which are leike a heat sink with fans. They are inexpensive, but in my research have found they need to be cleaned every few weeks, which makes it not worth it. 

I have the WD2500 250GB SATA drive that came with the PC, and purchased a 2nd drive of the same model and capacity.  Both drives temps seem to rise between 45-50 deg C, and upwards if there's a lot of disk activity.  I don't understand the coolng solutions in the XPS Dimesion Gen 3 case, there soes not appear to be any air blown over the hard drives, and the shroud covering them seems like a waste.

I had great results with a case fan blowing over the drives, pulling air in from the front, but in the Gen 3 case, that is not an option.  I may try putting the fan on the other end and blowing the air out the FRONT of the case, if I can find a way to secure the fan.

No Events found!