Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2016 07:00

Hard Drive runs at 100%

I have a Inspiron N5010 A04, OS Windows 10 Home.  The hard drive runs at 100% for minutes at a time as indicated on the Task Manager Performance page,  The drive lists as ST9500325AS 500.11 GB,  Is there something that I can do to reduce the amount of time the HD runs at 100%?  As an aside when I try to run the Dell Diagnostic Programs the system runs to the Getting Your Tests and then stops.  Any idea on that?  Thanks for any help.

4 Posts

June 26th, 2016 08:00

Thanks for the reply.  It does it all the time and it isn't an update.  I can recognize updating.  The pc will be running fine.   Then the hard drive starts running at 100% and continues for several minutes then goes back to normal operations.  I verify this with the task manager and can watch it operate at 100%.  I am not doing any resource heavy operations at the time.

7 Posts

June 11th, 2016 17:00

Sorry I don't have answer. I have similar issue on my HD too. I am hoping what you find out might work for me too.

4 Posts

June 11th, 2016 19:00

Lets hope someone helps both of us.

2 Posts

June 12th, 2016 01:00

I have a same question? I hope Dell will repair this  problem as possible.   :(

53 Posts

June 25th, 2016 09:00

Does it do it all the time? Most likely a windows update installing. I would restart or shut down and you will get the message option to update on shut down. The same thing happened to me and I thought I had malware, but all was fine. Windows 10 doesn't notify you when you are updating until you restart. Good luck.  

1 Message

July 2nd, 2016 01:00

Hi,

I am also seeing this problem after upgrading into windows 10. In windows 8.1, didn't see any problem 100% disk usage. But windows 10, seeing 100% disk usage in start up and sometime working time. It occurring repeatedly. I searched in lot of thing regarding this issue but still didn't get any solution. Please help me to resolve this issue.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

July 2nd, 2016 11:00

Use task manager to determine what service is accessing the disk. When you find that, then search to determine how to fix it. If you still need help, then post back here.

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2016 12:00

Thank you for the response.  How can you tell what service is accessing the disk?  What is considered excessive accessing?  I'm not computer literate...as you can see.

March 15th, 2020 09:00

Ever since the windows update (14,02,20) the hard drive on my Optiplex 760 has been running at 100%. It seems to be a permanent defrag loop (defrag at 0%). Looking at task manager nothing is showing up as a hungry disk user yet the read write data is high. Windows support have been a chocolate teapot that has consumed countless hours of my time to no avail. 

Actions taken so far:

Prefetch stopped, windows search stopped, reg edit used to set the driver to 0 instead of 1, Skype disabled, Antivirus temporarily disabled, disk checked for bad sectors, plugins for Chrome etc... disabled, no change, disk still at 100% and PC response now akin to paint drying.

Am considering changing the disk to a SSD but if it continues to loop in this defrag cycle the read write life will be short.

Please, any advice before I go bald!

1 Message

December 22nd, 2021 11:00

This issue persists on many Dell laptops, this is a piece of software designed by to cache the active programs or something like that. You can disable the software and it will stop the issue. It's called Superfetch. I have done this fix on atleast 5 of our Dell laptops at work, and it seems to help. 

This is not a bug or hardware error so sending it back to the manufacturer won't solve anything unfortunately.

"it's not a bug it's a feature" - Microsoft 

• 

25K Posts

December 22nd, 2021 11:00

Welcome to Dell Social Media Support for Technical and After Sales inquiries.

Please share the Service Tag / Express Service code / Order Number via Direct / Private message in the text format for which you need assistance.

No Events found!