Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

January 12th, 2018 06:00

Hard drive full

I have a Dell Precision M2800 with Windows 10.

My hard drive is nearly full, when I have installed and used relatively few programs and files. I did all of the standard disk cleaning, defragmentation, clearing out downloads and recycle bins and that was not helpful and >100 GB (of 226 GB storage space) were still unaccounted for, so I used "spacesniffer" to index all the files.

System recovery is taking 77.6 GB, and Windows itself is using 61.4 GB (with 34 GB for an "Installer" folder). There must be some kind of mistake, since I had previously disabled system backup and recovery and everything to save on space when this started happening. Is there a way to clean this up? I didn't choose a large hard drive for more than half of it to just be filled up. I contacted Microsoft, which blamed Dell.

User and program files take up ~40 GB, and the hard drive has <1GB left for me to do anything.

Please help me clear space!

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

January 17th, 2018 06:00

You should be able to clear up a good few GB by deleting Windows Update and System Restore files:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/delete-windows-update-files-to-regain-hard-drive-space/

Please note that the deletion process can take quite some time to complete.

January 17th, 2018 08:00

That is one of the first things I tried, and did not remove anything. I promise I went through that and all iterations of troubleshooting I could find online.

My system should be making zero restore points, but it still takes up 60 GB and will not be deleted by regular methods. My working solution now is to use TreeSize to view the files, change permissions so I can edit them, and delete the older restore files manually, one-by-one.

No Events found!