Hard drive or power supply problem?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
dmr02d
2 Bronze

Re: Hard drive or power supply problem?

sorry, accidentally hit the enter key..

here is my problem:

a few weeks ago, my computer wouldnt turn on at all. so, i figured i would go buy a new power supply. i have a dell dimension 8280. i purchased an antec 350 power supply for it. come to find out, i was told the wrong thing, and the power supply doesnt fit in my case. HOWEVER, i was able to turn the computer on. and so, while i had the computer on, i installed norton system works which i just purchased that day. after i installed some programs, it told me to restart, so, i went ahead and did that. upon rebooting, it would get stuck at a black screen or the welcome screen. i cant get passed it and i dont know if its a problem with my windows or power supply?

any thoughts? i miss my computer ... lol.

have a good sunday everyone.

doug
0 Kudos
Harlacan
2 Bronze

I currently have the same problem with my 4600 - Sometimes when I start it, It sticks on a black screen, After talking with Dells online support and doing several tests, They told me the "system was not reconizing the hard drive" So basically I need to purchase a new hard drive.

Maybe this is whats going on with your PC??

Good Luck!

0 Kudos
dmr02d
2 Bronze

I appreciate the reply -- that was my guess, the hard drive. I really dont want to do it, but I guess I really need to. There goes another expense, WOO HOO!
0 Kudos
noobody
3 Argentum

If you boot into safe mode (hit the F8 key right after the initial BIOS screen when you power on your computer), do you still get a black screen?
There may be something in your win.ini/boot.ini/startup(msconfig) setup that is not initiating correctly.  gl.
0 Kudos
simpswr
5 Tungsten

and do not discount NSW being the culprit . . it does more harm than good usually

wrs

0 Kudos