Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 8th, 2010 15:00

Hard drive problems - can anyone help?

I have been having problems with my Inspiron 1525 laptop for quite awhile, and I fear that my hard drive is bad. I'm wondering if anyone can confirm/deny this and help me determine how to handle the situation.

Quite often, I see blue screens on my laptop. I don't have all of the errors written down, but they have not all been the same. The latest one was "kernel_stack_inpage_error". Unfortunately, I did not write down the error codes. I sometimes see the blue screen happen, but it  happens other times as well for my machine has often rebooted itself (which is what happens after the blue screen). My IE also hangs very often (I don't know that this has anything to do with the problem but I'll mention it). It will just chug away indefinitely and is then difficult to stop (I can stop it from task manager usually). I also sometimes get a MS Visual C++ Runtime Library error when using IE, which shuts it down.

When I ran diagnostics on my hard drive, many bad sectors were found. I don't know how many because it prompted me so many times asking me if I wanted to skip that bad sector, that I got sick of it and cancelled it. So I'm thinking there are a whole bunch of them. Defrag runs weekly and seems to do ok (I don't know how to tell if it helped or not). When I scan for and attempt to repair bad sectors (Computer->Properties->Tools->Error Checking - while Windows is running), it runs for awhile and reads a bunch of free sectors and then it hangs with no CPU activity and the mouse won't move and nothing else works. I have to hard boot. When I run chkdsk /f /r at bootup, it hangs in step 5 of 5 with no CPU activity.  I ran both of these tools more than once with the same results.

First question, is there any hope for my hard drive?

Second question, if I replace my hard drive, do I have to buy a new copy of Windows since the copy I have came installed on my laptop? I have been told (now) that I should have ordered the Windows CD at an extra cost for just such a situation, but I was not aware of that option when I bought the laptop. I have all the CDs that came with the laptop (including the ones for MS Office which I'm hoping I can install - right?).  I'm hoping I can reinstall all the apps that came on my laptop even if I do have to buy another copy of Windows.

Third question, once I get everything running with the new hard drive, do you think the old hard drive could be formatted and somehow used?

Machine info:

Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T5450 @1.66 GHz, 2G RAM, 32-bit OS

Windows Vista Home Premium, SP1, IE 7.0.6001

C drive Samsung HM250JI , NTFS, 250GB (156 GB free)

Please let me know if any other information is needed. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

5 Posts

That's what I ran when I got all the bad sector errors, but I'll run it again and try to give you a more complete report from it.

Thanks!

Jill

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Before you install Windows on your new hard drive be sure to read  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=347576

Pay close attention to Issue #5.

Good luck!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

You need a new hard drive - there is no point in salvaging this one.  It is well along in failure.

You can order a copy of Windows free of charge:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Before we get ahead of ourselves, run Dell Diagnostics on your hard drive. Reboot. Quickly F12 and select Diagnostics. Report back what the results are.

5 Posts

January 9th, 2010 04:00

Before you install Windows on your new hard drive be sure to read  http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=347576

Pay close attention to Issue #5.

Good luck!

Thank you for the information. I will definitely read it.

Jill

5 Posts

OK, here is what I got. Please forgive my ignorance - I don't know if there is a way to post the whole results so I'll just summarize and type in the errors.

While running the initial memory tests, the following error came up (this did not happen before so I guess things are worsening):

Error Code 0142, Message Error Code 2000-00142, Msg: Hard Drive 1 - Self Test unsuccessful. Status 70.

After the Dell Utility started (in a window-like environment), I ran an Express Test. While testing the SATA Disk SMART Short Self Test (IDE SMART drive self test), I received:

Error Code 0F00:065D, Msg: DISK_0 - The self-test failed the read portion of the test.

I then went into the custom portion of testing and ran the hard drive tests (which is what I had done previously). The device quick check, seek test, and SMART test passed, but the read and verify tests failed in the same manner. Around 25% progress (and again around 81%), I received dozens of the following errors:

Error Code 0F00:0244, DISK_0 - BLOCK xxxxxxx Uncorrectable data error or media is write protected.

There were also a few of these errors:

Error Code 0F00:0240, Address mark not found or media error.

The hard drive still works and my machine boots, and I have my data backed up. I want to take care of this before it completely dies, which I think it is doing.

Thanks for your help.

Jill

5 Posts

You can order a copy of Windows free of charge:

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form?c=us&l=en&s=gen&redirect=1

Thanks very much for this info!

Jill

No Events found!