andiesmom
1 Nickel

Help Choose External Hard Drive

Hi
I have a Dimension 4700 Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 2.99GHz, 1.00 GB RAM 120GB free disk space, and running WinXP proffessional Service Pack 2.

I want to purchase an external Drive to back up my entire system and would appreciate some advice on what to buy.    I did a Dell search by my service tag but there were so many to choose from!  I am kind of leaning toward the HItachi 60 GB 5400 RPM Store-It USB Portable.  This is mainly because it features "one button back-up" and I need something not too complicated!  Any feedback on this one?

I would also appreciate advice on an external DVD burner, as my computer only has dvd rom.

Thanks

Linda

0 Kudos
3 Replies
7 Plutonium

Re: Help Choose External Hard Drive

Hi, andiesmom:

I would not recommend a "portable" hard drive. They are slower with less capacity for the price. For about $100, you could get a 250GB or for a bit more, a 500GB external drive. Seagate is a very well regarded brand and offer a five year warranty. If you like something with a "one touch" feature, Maxtor makes the "OneTouch" line of external drives. Your local electronics retailer will have good deals, so check your Sunday paper for specials.

Your 4700 can accommodate a second optical drive, so if you want a DVD burner, go internal. You're better off getting one online. A vendor like Newegg.com will have better brand names and prices than you local electronics retailer. You'll need an IDE, not SATA, drive, and you should look at the "retail" packages, since they will include software.

Let me know if you have further questions.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
andiesmom
1 Nickel

Thanks Ospray4 for your reply, and would you please explain "portable" as I thought any external drive would be portable?? 

Thanks for the "retail" hint!

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Yes, any external drive is portable. But in the marketing for these things, "portable" refers to what are called bus-powered drives. They run off the small amount of power supplied by the USB port. They have the advantage of a very small size (fits in your pocket) and only one connection (USB), but they are slower and more expensive for their capacity. A normal "external" hard drive requires both a USB connection and an AC adapter. They're a bit larger (will most definitely not fit in your pocket Smiley Happy). If you go to a drive manufacturer's site, such as Seagate or Western Digital, you'll see they categorize their drives as internal, external and portable, such as here:

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/home_and_home_office/

0 Kudos