Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2015 17:00

Help Needed: HDD not recognized in XPS 8500

Hello,

I have a Dell XP 8500 Special Edition that was working perfectly until this morning when the hard drive is no longer recognized.  When the computer resumed from sleep the computer froze and after rebooting the primary hard drive is no longer visible to the system at all.  The SSD and DVD drives are recognized, but the HDD is not.  This is all factory original parts with Windows 7, and nothing in the computer changed between yesterday and today. 

I am looking for help on fixing this problem.

I have tried changing the power and cables from the motherboard to hard drive with known good cables, changing the BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI and back, but nothing works.

Booting with a Windows 7 DVD does not detect the HDD at all. Running the Dell System diagnostics via F12 on startup does not find any errors - but it also does not see the HDD at all.

Thank you in advance for any helpful ideas.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 18th, 2015 20:00

You've done all you can - the drive is toast and will need to be replaced.

2 Posts

August 18th, 2015 21:00

I was afraid of that, thanks for the reply.  Another Seagate HDD (this time OEMed by Dell) bites the dust.  Out of warranty coverage too.  My Western Digital Hard drives in my other computers seem to all last a long time, but this is my third Seagate HDD to die within a couple of years of new.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 19th, 2015 04:00

Any drive can fail -- no manufacturer's drives are immune -- but I agree that WD is a safer bet than Seagate, at least for drives made in the last few years.

No Events found!