Hopefully someone out there can help a computer illiterate like myself. I have an E1505 Inspiron laptop which had a bad hard drive. I ordered a new hard drive as well as replacement discs for the computer. I physically installed the new hard drive. The disks I have are:
1. DVD for Reinstalling Dell Inspiron Computer Software (contents: *device drivers * diagnostics and utilities). I put this disc into my dvd player and ran the tests (memory and system) and everything passed. I just don't know where to go from there
2. Reinstallation DVD- Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Version 2005 with Update Rollup 2
3. For Reinstalling Cyberlink PowerDVD 7.0 software
4. Roxio Creater MyDVD Combo LE.
Can someone walk me though this process? I am absolutely clueless.
Sure thing I have an inspiron 6400 which is the same hardware.
Insert media direct disc and switch off press f12 whilst powering up selection 1. Assuming your power dvd is the same as a media direct cd. If not emit the line below and any mention of media direct.
Now when the discs finished and prompts you to change for your xp disc do so and as it reboots hold down f12 and start reinstalling windows:
If not media direct insert your xp disc and power down hold F12 and power up, go to boot from ced/dvd and install windows xp on a drive C: may need to make partitions, but thats easy, then just follow on screen instructions to install xp.
Meanwhile... Download the following onto another machine and copy to a cd/dvd flash drive or external hard drive:
Copy the following to a cd or dvd or external hard drive.
1. Download xp service pack 3:
Download the following drivers from here:
2. Dell System Notebook Software Under System Utilities
3. Both the chipset drivers
4. Then the intel video driver (or ATI or NVIDEA depending what you have)
5. Then the two Conexant Drivers Under Communications
6. Then the two Broadcom Drivers Under Network
7. Then depending what you have dell wireless card or INTELPROSET Wireless under network
8. Then the sigmatel driver under audio
9. Then synaptics touchpad under input devices
10. Then the dell quickset under applications
11. Bluetooth driver under network if you have bluetooth, will be a blue light if switched on if you have a bluetooth card.
12. Go here: http://www.istartedsomething.com/20061029/royale-noir/ and you can download a black xp and xp media centre edition colours.
13. If using msn messenger download from here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Chat/Instant-Messaging/MSN-Messenger-8.shtml and download this http://www.apatch.org/ to customise the messenger and get rid of adverts.
14. Download and install windows media player 11. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1d224714-e238-4e45-8668-5166114010ca&Displa...
Ok now install all the drivers in the order I specified. Restart and load up windows, now insert you dell media direct disc and it should prompt you to install if not go to my computer and double click the disc to install note install while on the windows desktop or you'll format your harddrive again.
Once thats done press the dell media direct button, note do not do so before this stage. Set it up for configuration and go to update note you will have to go to update 2 -3 times to get the latest version which I believe is 4.7. Once thats dome power down your computer and press the media direct button and smile since it should be working.
Then go to xp and install all other such as antivirus and office programs copy music and documents over etc. Be sure to go to windows update to get internet explorer 7 aswell.
Then install your roxio disc and thats you fully set up.
Installing the drivers is easy. Once you have them downloaded, all it is put the flash stick into your E1505 and double click on the driver and follow the next keys till it says finished, note alot prompt for a restart, I generally install them all in one go by selecting restart later.
Although service pack 3 do that first, this will require a few restarts.
Make sure you install the drivers in the order I specified as sometimes problems crop up if installed in the wrong order. Make sure you restart after installing all the drivers & before you install dell media direct (so the the dell media direct button works properly). Just to make sure you do have a dell media direct cd.
Also install the diagnostics drivers from the dell website at the end.
you mention 4. Then the intel video driver (or ATI or NVIDEA depending what you have). how do I know which I have? I told you I'm clueless. I'm going to get all three since I want to get this done but don't know if that will mess anything up.
Can you clarify?
same with #7: 7. Then depending what you have dell wireless card or INTELPROSET Wireless under network
How do I know which? I"m dumb as a stump I tell ya
Everything looks good. I did download all three but two of them couldn't find devices so I should be all set there. I've still got to do the wireless card drivers. Hopefully the fact that I'm doing it last won't mess anything up. You've been quite a help so many thanks! This computer is up and running perfectly!
Thanks for all your help...
Your very welcome, after all its what these forums are for. Installing the wireless card last is fine, sometimes I install it last too.
Once it is installed and you have restarted the computer, please go to the start menu, right click the My Computer Icon and go to properties, then go to the hardware tab and go to device manager, vertify that there are no error messages or exclaimation marks there.