Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2014 08:00

Help recovering Data off a failed HDD

Hello guys!

So recently my 2nd HDD on my Alienware M14Xr2 has failed me and i had to have someone come out and replace it.

Now last time i used a Star tech Sata to IDE adapter to transfer my files and this time it's not working

So i can access some folders relatively easy but when i try to access my folder under my user it says :

"You don't have permission to access this folder - click continue to gain permanent access"

So. i click continue and the bar at the top loads and gets really close to finishing and just sits there

is something wrong? or am i not giving it enough time?

Other folders other than mine still seem to have my data in them so was wondering if anyone can help

Perhaps i just need to wait a long time? Any help would be appreciated! i have to send the drive back in about 8 days so please respond ASAP

-Thanks!

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 7th, 2014 13:00

How to take ownership of files:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753659.aspx

(this assumes Windows 7).

August 8th, 2014 16:00

So i took ownership of my folder and files and it still asks me for permission and never loads :'(

Anyone else have any solutions?

Or should i call Dell and ask them?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 9th, 2014 11:00

Was this drive part of a RAID 0 array?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 9th, 2014 18:00

August 16th, 2014 00:00

Sorry it took me a long time to answer guys so... i finally figured out how to pull the data... i had to start my laptop in safe mode! so simple haha except... get this

after 3 days of recovering my laptop BOOM my new Hard-Drive (that they just replaced) fails due to I/O... SOOO now i can't access data off this one at all, even in safe mode, it pops up as Local Disk (F:) and shows no storage space but a folder called Recovery always pops up with it and has the Factory.wim in it... so any tips? is that hard drive gone?

No Events found!