Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 16th, 2013 19:00

Hitachi Deskstar 80g read 42g on Optiplex GX520

I installed Hitachi 80gb and my Optiplex gx520 reads total of 42gb used and free space ?

I tried on Samsung 250gb and it read total of 42gb ?

What wrong ?

Appreciate and commend to resolve this issue.

kckg

26 Posts

July 17th, 2013 10:00

Certain Dell PCs use have a Media Direct button or Media Direct feature for loading the operating system (Windows Xp was native with these options) and drivers for the DVD player directly instead having to turn the computer "ON" and having it load everything.  The idea was if someone wanted just to play a CD or video, less would be required of the user..........

That being said, these particular PCs and possibly others without the Media Direct feature use "HPA" on the hard disk drive (HDD).  The HPA is the "host protected area", which these Dell PCs utilized for the Media Direct function and storage of the DSR (Dell System Restore) feature, which also came with the PCs.  This allowed the user to basically restore a corrupted or damaged OS or series of programs using a couple of keystrokes..........

The problem you have probably encountered is that in cloning or copying exactly, your HDD to the new 80 Gb or 250 Gb drives is that the MBR (master boot record) was also copied, telling the BIOS in your PC that the new drive is the same as the old drive, though it in reality, is not.  You need to recover the unallocated space taken up by the HPA.  This can be done a couple of ways.  I understand that the Optiplex series of PCs are desktops, is that right?  If so, hopefully you have room for a second HDD, so you don't have to swap out drives.  If you only have one drive bay, you'll have to swap out HDDs AFTER you create the utility CD.

Download the "CD IMAGE" utility from the HGST (Hitachi) web site under the "Feature Tools" set of programs.  This is a free HDD utility which is designed for checking and restoring certain Hitachi / HGST drives, but will work on many others.  Once you have downloaded this file, burn it to a CD, which will create a bootable version for use.  Install the HDD you wish to "repair" into your PC and then boot from the CD.  Follow the prompts and (if your HDD is detected and the options for checking the disk or repairing it appear, you're in luck) click on "Restore Capacity".  This should remove the HPA from the drive and make the unused portion available as unallocated space.  Once you have done this, exit from the program and TURN OFF your PC.  If you only have one drive bay, re-install the main HDD in your PC and boot normally.  Install your second, "repaired" HDD in an ATA external enclosure.  If you have two drive bays, just boot normally to the main drive.  Right Click on the "My Computer" or "Computer" desktop icon and then select "Manage" from the  pull down menu.  When the new window comes up, select "Disk Management" under the "Storage" heading.  A pictograph of your drives will show up.  Drive "0" or your "C:" drive will show on the top, your other "new" drive on the bottom.  The full size of the drive should show.  You'll have a partition of 42 Gb which is what that drive has utilized when you originally copied to it, and then you should see the remaining space as "Unallocated."  You may need to format this space.  Try to create a "Primary" partition by right clicking on the unallocated area and choosing the option(s) shown.  If this does not work, format that area.  Then create a new primary partition.  When this is done, if the drive does not have a drive letter (name) associated with it, assign one to it.  Depending on the number of drives and devices you have connected to your PC, this may show up as "New Drive E:" or "F:", etc.  Once you have created the new primary partition and assigned a drive letter name to your HDD, use a partition management tool to merge the partitions into one, primary, NTFS partition.  This should hopefully resolve your problem.

When you are done and wish to use the restored drive(s) as the destination, use a program like Norton Ghost (15.0 is the current version and is backwards compatible with Win Xp) to "Image" your drive; DO NOT CLONE IT, or you will again copy the MBR and HPA to the destination drive.  Good Luck - - let us know how you've made out.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

July 16th, 2013 20:00

Hi kckg,

OptiPlex GX520 supports IDE/SATA and SATA 2 hard drives. You will need to configure the hard drive so that you can see the full capacity 250GB.

5 Posts

July 17th, 2013 06:00

Thank you for reply,

I am newby and could you give me a sequencial steps how to do this.

Thus far I even went to download from Hitachi website for this drive failed and I did look at the hard drive that no need to shorten the pin for full capacity.

kckg

5 Posts

July 17th, 2013 16:00

I just ordered from eBay  $12.99 for Norton Ghost 15; after i get it and go through with it and give you my reply.

Thank you,

26 Posts

July 23rd, 2013 17:00

Good deal.  Hope this works for you.  I have run up against the obstacle that no matter what I do, the drive size read by the BIOS keeps coming up as a lower capacity than the HDD actual capacity (60 Gb vs. 200 Gb).  I've put this in another thread which, hopefully, will assist others who run into this problem. 

5 Posts

July 25th, 2013 10:00

I've tried famouse brands, like Reflect, Acronis Migrate Easy, anothers, none work ; while waiting for Norton Ghost( if it work).l came accrose on web, "Mini Tool"

it's "Free" , download and in the one page I resized hdd and copied into larger drive, which got from Acronis, and it worked.

Is'nt that worderful, above all it's freeware without string attached like others. Good thing about it is that it has no READing for Instruction, it's Visual follow though, even a 6yr old can do it; that's Simple.

You try it.:emotion-55:

26 Posts

July 29th, 2013 10:00

I'm glad that worked well for you!  I also downloaded "Mini Tool" which is a great program, but unfortunately, it did not work for me.  I think, looking back, that my problem persisted because the sector on the HDD which contained the boot code calling for the protected area on the drive was not overwritten or reformatted.  Once I used the Hitachi Feature Tool (also a free download) and then started over with a fresh installation of Windows Xp, I had complete success.  

No Events found!