Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 2nd, 2009 10:00

Hitachi HL-DT-ST DVD/CD Rom GDR-8163B & HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B-Disappeared WinXP SP3

RE: cdrw-cdrom drivers dissapeared from windows xp

Hitachi HL-DT-ST DVD/CD Rom GDR-8163B & HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8483B, Win XP SP3. Dell Dim 4700/4Mb (all applicable downloads/drivers applied). Device Manager returns Error code 39 (can't find/corrupted driver). All critical/hotfixes applied. Have tried MS Troubleshooter, Add/delete Hardware Wizard w/o success. Drives OK as they can be accessed via manual boot, but not recognized in XP. Unplugged and removed/reseated power & ribbon cables without success.
Cannot run Safe Mode as system hangs when reaching agpCPQ.sys.
Have not re-installed XP as (per MS) must uninstall IE 7 first, plus reapply SP3 plus all other updates.
Suggestions??

10.9K Posts

March 2nd, 2009 11:00

Have you tried this Microsoft article ............

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

5 Posts

March 4th, 2009 07:00

Thank you.  Not sure if I responded correctly.

Applied as per kb article.  Eerything came back just like it never even happened.

As the KB is so old I'm surprised that MS didn't have fix in SP3.

Now if I can get the agp440 problem fixed.

Yooper

5 Posts

January 22nd, 2010 16:00

Sorry to bring this back to you, but...

I followed the KB 314060 atricle and it did regognize my drives and made them avaiable for access.  However, the CD drive would not permit writing.  I found the drivers as shown via Device Managr's property box to be the standard MS CD-ROM (looked old based on date shown) and not the manufacturer/Dell driver that was present earlier.  I could not write until I reloaded Sonic and DLA.  At that point I could only write using Sonic's Record Now, and must have the DLA option selected in the properties box..  Consequently, I have "lost" the ability to farmat, write, or re-write with the standard MS XP supplied software.  I discovered the Imapi service had been turned off so I re-activated it.  This has given me a few improvements for reading operations but I still can't format or write without enabling DLA and having to use Sonic or Ashampoo Burning CD software.

I have tried to find manufacurer's (Hitachi/LG) drivers from Dell, MS  support links, looking at my original XP installation disk, and the web in general; without luck.

I am contemplating physically diconnecting and un-installing my CD/DVD reader, and then re-connecting as new hardware.

Oh, since I can't boot in safe mode, I am having to do everything in the normal XP environment.

Any other ideas or resources I might try?

Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2010 06:00

Hi, mr_yoop:

The XP drivers for all CD/DVD drives are the same generic drivers. They are not provided by Dell.

Second, as long as you have Sonic DLA installed, you cannot use the XP CD burning software. My personal recommendation would be NOT to use DLA. Uninstall it. The problems it causes far outweigh the convenience.

No Events found!