Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

T

September 7th, 2011 22:00

Hitachi LG DVD/Blue Ray optical drive (HL-DT-ST DVDRW/BDROM CH20N) not recognized by Windows 7

Just booted my brand new 9100 and began to write a recovery disc when the software reported back "insert disc" error. Some data was written on the DVD disc but when I check the disc on another computer the disc is unreadable, as the session of the disc probably never closed before the issue began.

I then have tried every type of disc DVD, Blue Ray, CD-R and the drive seems to seek the disc, but no luck as it cannot read the discs. I even tried the recovery disc supplied by Dell (no luck).

Trouble shooting techniques that I have tried include the following:

1. Checking device manager (This device is working properly)
  2. Trying to add a device, Windows cannot find any new devices
  3. Deleting the driver and then rebooting, Windows automatically installed the driver upon reboot - but still could not recognize any discs
  4. Running the custom scan with the Dell PC checkup software, failed all read/write test - drive could not be found
  5. Searched web for (HL-DT-ST DVDRW/BDROM CH20N) drive and may report similar errors, but none that seem to work with my instance
  6. Opened up the hood and double checked the physical connections, all re-seated, still no read/write on discs.
  7. Opened computer manager, and noticed that the HL-DT-ST DVDRW/BDROM CH20N is drive D: which is not apparent when view via Start menu/Computer. I also notice that the Computer Managment dialog is showing this disc as "CD-ROM 0"; this is only odd to me because I am coming from Win XP and typically no two drives are drive "0" but perhaps this is different in Win 7.
If anyone has a clue, or could give me some other tips I will gladly try.
Next step conversation with tech support; but let me try this first and see what my results are.
Ken

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

September 8th, 2011 05:00

Windows XP is not supported on the Studio XPS Desktop 9100

You could try the Error Code 39 fix tool.

Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media - Microsoft Support

September 8th, 2011 08:00

Sorry that I was not clear in my post, I am aware that the 9100 systems are not designed to work with XP. My XP comment was only noted that I have (in the past) only worked with XP and this is where my knowedgebase resides. I am fairly new to Win 7, as such was only making a comparison comment to how I was familiar working with XP since "....perhaps this is different in Win 7" .

Thanks for your post to the MS support area, I will try this later tonight and post the results.

I also borrowed a similar SATA drive from work to check to see if the drive itself is not functioning. I will post these results too.

Ken

15 Posts

September 9th, 2011 17:00

There is an  update for that drive, to make it compatible with Windows 7.  You can get it on the Dell Studio XPS 1645 download page under Sata Drives!  Hope this helps.

September 9th, 2011 20:00

It ended up being a bad drive. Once I receive the replacement and install I will report back to this forum my results.

Thanks all for your input and help.

Ken

September 14th, 2011 10:00

Final results, yes it was a bad drive.

I had to call tech support to run through their process of debugging, but I was able to short-cut this by talking to the tech guy and letting him know what debugging options I have already tried.

Dell shipped out a replacement drive and I installed without any issues.

My only concern is that there was a sticker on the bill of lading contained within the shipping box that indicated that this drive was refurbished. This is a brand new system, I should have a brand new drive replacement.

I am not pleased with this result, and I will writing to Dell to let them know of my concern.

I understand the warranted period for refurbished drives is less than new equipment; as such this reduces my warranty period for this new drive in the new system - which is not good business practice.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 14th, 2011 13:00

three_dimensional_world

All the Dell replacement parts are labeled *refurbished*, even when the new parts are new.  These parts have exactly the same warranty as the computer they are installed in.

All the OEM computer manufacturers use the same replacement part procedures, as Dell.

Bev.

15 Posts

September 14th, 2011 15:00

Yeah Shesagordie is correct.  99 percent of the time all replacement parts are brand new.  I've had several SSD's replaced, they are marked as refurbs on the backpage, but are indeed always brand new.  You can tell this due to the nature of SMART in hard drives.  

No Events found!