Highlighted
SnarfTCat
1 Copper

How do I reinstall OS on a new harddrive?

Jump to solution

I strongly suspect harddrive failure on my old XPS 420. Data recovery is not an issue. However, seeing as how I don't feel like purchasing a brand new OS, is there any way I can transfer the installation of Windows Vista to a new harddrive? I'm told that Dell will send me an installation disc to do so, but how do I get such a disc, and is there any other way?

I'm considering ghosting the harddrive onto another one and using the recovery partition to nuke it into a fresh install, but would that even work???

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
7 Plutonium

RE: How do I reinstall OS on a new harddrive?

Jump to solution

SnarfTCat

The easiest method, that I prefer for installing a replacement hard drive, is to clone the existing hard drive to the new one, that will also, transfer all the applications and programs.

You need a imaging utility, similar to True Image Home 2015.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage

Acronis will resize the transferred partitions to match new hard drive's size.

Hard drive manufacturers, also have their own free cloning software available, but this can be used only with their hard drives.

First, install the new drive as the secondary and image the existing primary hard drive to it.

After cloning, immediately shut the system down, switch the data cable [SATA port 0] to the new drive, making the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly.

Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected.

Remember to leave the original drive disconnected, until the new hard drive is working to your satisfaction.

Before cloning a hard drive, be certain that the existing drive has no corruption or virus on it, as these will be transferred to the new hard drive.

A second SATA data cable will be required, there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

Regards to obtaining an Dell OEM Vista operating system disc [if Dell still copies of this media available], but you may be out of luck unless you have a Dell warranty in effect, but it's worth a try, to see what happens.

If you reside in the US, or Canada and are the registered owner of the computer, with an active warranty, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may make a charge for the disc.

If you don't reside in the US, contact Dell's Support that's located in your country. 

Bev.

If my answer was helpful, please click: Kudos
Forum Member since 2001
I am not employed by Dell

0 Kudos
3 Replies
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

SnarfTCat

The easiest method, that I prefer for installing a replacement hard drive, is to clone the existing hard drive to the new one, that will also, transfer all the applications and programs.

You need a imaging utility, similar to True Image Home 2015.

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage

Acronis will resize the transferred partitions to match new hard drive's size.

Hard drive manufacturers, also have their own free cloning software available, but this can be used only with their hard drives.

First, install the new drive as the secondary and image the existing primary hard drive to it.

After cloning, immediately shut the system down, switch the data cable [SATA port 0] to the new drive, making the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly.

Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected.

Remember to leave the original drive disconnected, until the new hard drive is working to your satisfaction.

Before cloning a hard drive, be certain that the existing drive has no corruption or virus on it, as these will be transferred to the new hard drive.

A second SATA data cable will be required, there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

Regards to obtaining an Dell OEM Vista operating system disc [if Dell still copies of this media available], but you may be out of luck unless you have a Dell warranty in effect, but it's worth a try, to see what happens.

If you reside in the US, or Canada and are the registered owner of the computer, with an active warranty, a disc containing the factory-installed operating system specific to your system, can be requested from HERE.

Note: Dell may make a charge for the disc.

If you don't reside in the US, contact Dell's Support that's located in your country. 

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos
SnarfTCat
1 Copper

Jump to solution

So I CAN just copy the harddrive and use the partitions to factory restore itself onto a new harddrive. So if I'm getting this right, I can use something from Acronis, like True Image to clone a harddrive? Alternatively, I can use my manufacturer's free cloning software, which in my case would be Hitachi since my Device Manager says, "Hitachi HDP725050GLA360"? If I opt for the manufacturer's option, I will only be able to clone it onto another  Hitachi, correct?

0 Kudos
7 Plutonium

Jump to solution

SnarfTCat

It does not have to be a Hitachi HD, you clone the exsisting hard drive, to other makes of HD's, eg: Seagate, WDC.

Check the Hitachi website, to see if they have free cloning software available, I know that both Seagate and Western Digital have their free version of Acronis listed for download, together with the instructions.

Bev.

Forum Member since 2001

0 Kudos