Highlighted

How do I tell if my computer has SATA II or III?

Jump to solution

I am considering getting an SSD for my Dell Studio XPS 7100 but I need to know if my system can handle the latest SATA III at 6 GB/sec or if it can only handle SATA II?  I've looked everywhere in my system but can't find this info.

Any help would be appreciated...

Dell XPS 7100, AMD Phenom II 1035T, 6 GB RAM, Win7 Home Premium, ATI Radeon 5450 1 GB

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
13 Replies
osprey4
Diamond

Re: How do I tell if my computer has SATA II or III?

Jump to solution

Hi Shaeferhund,

Yes, your system supports SATA 6Gb/s.

Just an aside, the standards are technically called SATA 1.5, 3 and 6 Gb/s, or revision 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0, respectively.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thank you Osprey, I appreciate your taking the time to answer.  So I guess I can go ahead and start shopping for a 6 Gb/s SSD now -- and cross my fingers and hope that all goes well with installation etc.

By the way, for future reference, where do I look on my system to find out which SATA it can handle?

Thanks

Dell XPS 7100, AMD Phenom II 1035T, 6 GB RAM, Win7 Home Premium, ATI Radeon 5450 1 GB

0 Kudos
osprey4
Diamond

Jump to solution

I just did a search. Sorry, I did not bookmark the page.

0 Kudos
Dec993
Bronze

Jump to solution

I just bought a SATA III/6gbps SSD based on this thread and Osprey's information. This information does NOT appear to be correct! My Patriot Pyro's speeds are all below 300MB/sec when it should be in the 500 range for SATA III. SiSoftware says the "maximum SATA mode" is SATA300. Perhaps you can explain this?

0 Kudos
HTC user
Copper

Jump to solution

I was hoping to get some similar advice as going down the same route or at least planning too with a ssd ,

Ive got a Dell precision T1500 work station ... i beleive its a sata 3Gb/s interface but would like to be sure !!!

I know that it would support a 6Gb/s device but obviously i wont get the best out of it  ... or even if it would be any improvment on the current (original HDD) speeds or even sufficent to make the investment worth while. 

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

If you are using windows and want detailed information about your hardware, want to do some benchmarking, etc, try SiSoftware Sandra. This tool is free for home use.

If you click storage device - physical disk, it will provide  the type and speed of your sata ports under the transfer mode sections..

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Don't know about the T1500 workstation but as a side note, the BIOS may contain options where you can limit the sata port speed (to 1.5gbps or 3gbps or 6gbps?). You may also be able to set the sata port mode to various options like RAID+AHCI, etc, which may or may not have impact port speed.

0 Kudos
HTC user
Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks Sklylark for the suggestions much apreciated... i ran the  sisoft sandra .. wow  a little to indepth for my ability i think .. but im now fairly sure ive gota  3gb/s sata port  "sata300"&my Bios has the  AHCI already in use  .. still unsure just how much of a boast the ssd will give the dollars its gona cost though can you advise

0 Kudos
HTC user
Copper

Jump to solution

PC. Specs  2.93Ghz i7 870 64 bit  16 gig ram widows 7  professional

ATi HD 6850 GD I GiG

Current HDD Hitachi HDs721010CLA  1000GB

Planning on putting OS & App's on a 256 SSD  but will i see the benifits ???

(still use the HDD as storage)

0 Kudos