Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 20th, 2006 00:00

How many GB in size can my HDD be Dell Dimension 8100 support?

Hi..

My Dell Dimension 8100 1.3 system current has two hard disk drive bithe the primary and the slave are 60gb each. Can I put in a 160gb as master and use a 60mb as a slave.I haven't got a clue how large (GB) I can go. bios is A09.

Current HDD Maxtor (two 60's) Diamond Max Plus 9 Ultra ata/133

Can you send me to a site which will give me the info. or fill me in as to what I can install ... An example HDD would be great as well, I'm also worried about compatibilty with the Maxtor I want to use.

I thought DEll would have info... but somehow I think they have dropped much of the Dimension 8100.
Many thanks
Larry skyace@aei.ca

11.9K Posts

March 20th, 2006 01:00

@Skyace wrote:
Hi..

My Dell Dimension 8100 1.3 system current has two hard disk drive bithe the primary and the slave are 60gb each. Can I put in a 160gb as master and use a 60mb as a slave.I haven't got a clue how large (GB) I can go. bios is A09.

Current HDD Maxtor (two 60's) Diamond Max Plus 9 Ultra ata/133

Can you send me to a site which will give me the info. or fill me in as to what I can install ... An example HDD would be great as well, I'm also worried about compatibilty with the Maxtor I want to use.

I thought DEll would have info... but somehow I think they have dropped much of the Dimension 8100.
Many thanks
Larry skyace@aei.ca

Using the Advanced Forum Search on the bottom of this page, you can quite easily find the answer to this often asked question, answer several times every day.

With current bios and Windows XP SP1 or higher - NO LIMIT.

ANY IDE (not SATA) hard drive will work.  Do NOT but Maxtor.  Seagate has the best warranty.

85 Posts

March 20th, 2006 04:00

The max size you can put is 80GB... think so, let me run over... yes, between 60G and 80G IDE HD, that should get you a max on the capacity of your HD, dont go over that, might not work on the system, sides the ones over 80G are ultra ata or SATA, not IDE.

Rick, if you are not gonna help people and tell them to look more deeper, dont post... you are wasting their time and giving false hopes on a response is not gona help them...

And I agree with him, NO MAXTOR! Get any other brand... NOT MAXTOR! Ugly brand man... it gets a lot of errors really fast... I burned one a couple of years ago.

Message Edited by johndoe777 on 03-20-2006 12:04 AM

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 20th, 2006 09:00

The 8100 is not limited to a specific size as long as the BIOS is up to date and the OS is 2000 SP4 or XP SP1 or higher.

There is no 80G limit - there is a 137G limit on some systems (those that do not support the INT13 extensions), but the newer 8100 BIOSes don't have this limit.

11.9K Posts

March 20th, 2006 09:00

@johndoe777 wrote:
The max size you can put is 80GB... think so, let me run over... yes, between 60G and 80G IDE HD, that should get you a max on the capacity of your HD, dont go over that, might not work on the system, sides the ones over 80G are ultra ata or SATA, not IDE.

Rick, if you are not gonna help people and tell them to look more deeper, dont post... you are wasting their time and giving false hopes on a response is not gona help them...

And I agree with him, NO MAXTOR! Get any other brand... NOT MAXTOR! Ugly brand man... it gets a lot of errors really fast... I burned one a couple of years ago.

Unfortunately, the info you provide above re: max hard disk size is totally incorrect, as well as the info re: Ultra ATA and IDE. 

9.4K Posts

March 20th, 2006 11:00

JohnDoe 777, any BIOS version higher than A07 on the 8100 will support a large hard drive as the folks have been telling you.  For your reference check out item #9 below.....

Systems: Dimension 8100
Version: A07
Release Date: 06-12-01

The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A06 to create A07:

1. Fixed potential corruption in system setup screens when accessing help.
2. Updated the USB and S3 resume code to fix win98 S3 problems.
3. Fixed problem with bang on System Device for ACPI BIOS in device
    manager after suspend/resume with USB emulation on.
4. Updated the PCI cache line size to 64 bytes for onboard devices.
5. Added IOAPIC support.
6. NEW FEATURE: Enhanced Selectable Boot in system setup.
    Desc: Our select boot implementation has changed in three ways:
      1. A device may disappear (ex. removable HD) but will not be
          removed from the list.
      2. Similar devices (class codes are the same) can replace each other.
      3. Added devices are added to the end of the attempt list.
7. Fixed multiple issues in Win98SE with USB and S3 resumes
8. Updated SMBIOS table fields for AGP, Max CPU speed, and Max memory size.
9. Added 48-bit LBA support for large IDE drives.
10. Fix WIN 98/ME RESTART hang.
11. Updated USB Emulation to fix potential device insert/disconnect issues.
12. Add functions to the INT 15 Remote Lockout interface.

85 Posts

March 25th, 2006 00:00

Ok, I dont know nothing!? :smileytongue: I am as stupid as a dumbell! JAJAJAJAJA :smileyvery-happy: Thats my last period... if you want to play it safe, play it safe!

22 Posts

March 27th, 2006 00:00

My older 8100 with XP Pro SP2 and latest BIOS has 2 WD 250 GB drives and works perfectly.
No Events found!