Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 29th, 2008 17:00

How to get or install a 2nd HD for Inspiron 530 desktop

I am helping a colleague configure a new Dell Inspiron 530 desktop. It's not possible to order this system online with a 2nd hard drive. He is thinking about ordering the system with only one HD, then buying another HD locally and adding it.

However, from what I have seen inside my parents' older Dimension 521, Dell mounts the HD using a kind of plastic slider/bracket, and not with the usual 4 screws. I assume that the Inspiron desktop uses a similar system and that the plastic bracket is required to mount the HD in the case.

I would like more details about this. Is there room in the Inspiron desktop for a 2nd HD? Is it possible to order the HD mounting bracket separately, and how? Alternately, if ordering by phone, would it be possible to have the 2nd HD included in the original system order.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 29th, 2008 18:00

BernardPD

The 530 does not use a plastic tray for the second hard drive, only the four screws are required.

The instructions for physically installing a second hard drive in a 530 are here.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

You will need a SATA data cable there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

After installing the drive enter the system setup and check that the hard drive is 'enabled' [on].

Enter setup/Advanced Tab/Integrated Peripherals/Serial-ATA Configuration.
System Setup.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

For Vista to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted.

Instructions for installing an additional hard drive using Windows Vista Disk Management, check out the generic procedures Here.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Bev.

===================================================
Please don't send me questions about your system by DCF Messenger.
Post the issue in the appropriate Board, where they will be answered.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 29th, 2008 19:00

BernardPD

Pleased to have helped. :)

Bev.

118 Posts

July 29th, 2008 19:00

Thanks a lot shesagordie for the quick and practical reply.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 23rd, 2008 19:00

navamuel

Either cable should be fine.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

navamuel

No limit, you can install any currently available SATA hard drive.

Personally, I like Seagate hard drives, due to their five year warranty.

The instructions for physically installing a second hard drive in a 530 are here.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

You will need a SATA data cable there should be a spare SATA power connector inside the case.

After installing the drive enter the system setup and check that the hard drive is 'enabled' [on].

Enter setup/Advanced Tab/Integrated Peripherals/Serial-ATA Configuration.

System Setup.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

For Vista to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted.

Instructions for installing an additional hard drive using Windows Vista Disk Management, check out the generic procedures Here.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

No, you will not void the Dell warranty on the 530, you can read about Dell's policies about the use of parts, software and components not supplied or installed by Dell, here.<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

Bev.

3 Posts

Hi

Sorry to take over the post, but my question is similar to OP,

I want to install a 2nd HD in my 530 using WIN Vista. Will buy the drive locally from Elara whould the Seagate ST3500320AS, STM3500320AS or the Western Digital WD5000AAKS be a good choice? They are 500gb 7200rpm, 32MB.

What's the MAX size of drive I can use?

Do I need to get a SATA data cable? or is it in the PC or does it come with the hard drive? 

Will it void the warranty if I install a 2nd drive? 

Is there anything I should consider or do when buying/installing it?

Thanks

Message Edited by navamuel on 08-23-2008 09:13 PM

3 Posts

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply, will this 5170 or this 731 cable work?

3 Posts

August 23rd, 2008 20:00

Hi

Thanks for your help, orders placed.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 23rd, 2008 20:00

navamuel

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

1 Message

November 26th, 2011 18:00

I have an Inspiron 1720 laptop with a slot for a second hard drive. 

I have the correct hard drive, but need the mounting plate and edge connector. 

Where do I buy those parts?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

November 27th, 2011 04:00

Hi LilasT64,

Please contact Dell spare parts.

No Events found!