surya.mehetre
1 Copper

RE: How to install SSD for Inspiron 14 3452?

Jump to solution

I also tried to upgrade same machine, I did chat with some dell n best buy guys, no clear picture from anybody. I think its attached with motherboard so we have to remove the emmc and get wires and connectors etc and then replace with HDD.. OMG lots of stuff already... let me know if anybody find anything simpler..

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jareza
1 Copper

Jump to solution

It amazes me how little information there is on the web regarding this matter: I bought this machine for light use since my main laptop is going through a repair process.

I saw this on the black friday deals for 160 taxes included and took the plunge... I thought to myself: I will upgrade the HDD with a 250 gb drive I have lying around and I will bump the ram to 4 gb.

To my surprise:

There is 1... yes ONE RAM SLOT. and there is an opening for the HDD but no cable. Upon further investigation I came to the conclusion that it is indeed not possible or viable to upgrade the storage on this machine. yes I stripped the computer down to its motherboard and its like they took the insides of a windows 10 tablet and put them on a laptop case.

So, I had a few spare parts lying around and I had an 8gb SO DIMM that I decided to try:

Worst case scenario: The bios will bump the RAM down to 4gb as its as far as it goes.

Best Case scenario: The bios will recognize the 8gb.

To my surprise it did work with the whole 8gb... its a vast improvement but not stellar.

So here are some thing you can do to make this laptop usable:

1.-Get a 4gb or 8gb SO DIMM, (go with 8 if you don't care about warranties, those are for losers anyway)

2.- Go to windows media creator (on the internet) and do a clean windows 10 install. too much bloatware installed on this humble machine.

3.- Buy a 64 SD card and install apps in there.

and there you go voila! a 160 USD laptop with a 30 dollar dimm upgrade and a 64 gb sd card to work its magic.

Hope this helps

Best Regards!

surya.mehetre
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you Jareza, you posted what I exactly wanted to know.. Cool..

Just need the link to purchase 8gb ram which is compatible:

I found one :

www.amazon.com/.../B006YG8X9Y;qid=1449606339&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006YG8X9Y?keywords=ram%20for%20laptop%20ddr3l%208gb&qid=1449606339...

0 Kudos
surya.mehetre
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you Jareza, you posted what I exactly wanted to know.. Cool..

Just need the link to purchase 8gb ram which is compatible:

I found one :

www.amazon.com/.../B006YG8X9Y;qid=1449606339&ref_=sr_1_3&sr=8-3

jareza
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thats the one you need.... just please, keep your expectations low.... REAL low... people need to know that the computer is limited by its processor... 

its like screaming to a 5 year old computer for not keeping up with today's standards....

Once you assimilate this, you will then appreciate the true value of this laptop.

it CAN keep up with today's standards just not as fast as one would like to.

a couple of other tips I can share:

1.- When doing the windows 10 clean install if you are tech savvy, erase the recovery partition...  after erasing, create a new one and merge said partition with the main partition...you will gain 1 gb of precious storage space. If you are afraid of wanting to go back, before doing this, create the USB media recovery that comes with your dell... it will take forever, but thats up to you.

2.- Get a class 10 SD card and use it to install your apps and windows updates. One thing I forgot to mention is that this computer is unusable out of the box, because the newest windows 10 update requires more free space than the one physically available on your computer.  Using the SD card will let you update the computer as needed.

3.- fondle around with the intel graphics chip and go wild... avoid using any "battery saving settings" this will only slow down the computer... just put it on over drive. you will always have a snappier response from it if you dismiss any battery saving settings.

hope this helps!

chiaja
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thank you for this reply, most helpful one out of all of them. Obviously, you feel my pain! I did install an Kingston 8GB SODIMM and that helped. I will try using an SDHC card next, although I don't use much apps at all on this notebook. Will also try your recommendations for cleaning the Win10 install too. Thx again!

0 Kudos
Paul_Tailor
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Thanks so much for this post, it really helps. Can you explain how the Sd card will help with the Windows update?

0 Kudos
Keith284
1 Copper

Jump to solution

2.- Get a class 10 SD card and use it to install your apps and windows updates. One thing I forgot to mention is that this computer is unusable out of the box, because the newest windows 10 update requires more free space than the one physically available on your computer.  Using the SD card will let you update the computer as needed.

I have this exact system from the Black Friday 2015 deal I purchased online.  It has the exact same Windows 10 updating problem, missing the exact same parts.  I tried the Windows 10 update option of using an external HDD for the updates, and it would not work.  Windows 10 won't update using any drive other than the drive the OS is on according to Dell support.  So why would it allow the use of an SD card to update?  Are you saying the class 10 SD card replaces the existing 32 GB drive as the drive the computer boots from normally, and you put the whole OS on the class 10 drive?

Thanks

EDIT: After manually moving the recovery folder from c:\ over to an external hdd, windows 10 for some reason finally allowed me to use another external hdd for update purposes, and fully updated. (shrug)

jareza
1 Copper

Jump to solution

KEITH284

"Are you saying the class 10 SD card replaces the existing 32 GB drive as the drive the computer boots from normally, and you put the whole OS on the class 10 drive?"

Hi Keith, glad to try to help a fellow user:

If you read my whole review, you will see that I did a clean install of windows... like CLEAN CLEAN meaning erasing recovery partitions and installing windows to its bare essentials. this will actually help with the update, I see you found a workaround by moving the folder to an external HDD.

I guess that with this computer you just have to find what works best for you.

to be real honest, I got my daily use laptop back and this dell has been sitting on a drawer for quite some time.

none the less for a computer that was less than 200 bucks it still is a bargain

Best"!

ricalo
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Has someone considered using an mSATA SSD instead of the SD card solution?

It appears that the laptop has a WIFI mSATA card, but we could easily substitute that with a USB WIFI solution.

0 Kudos