8 Xenon

RE: How to install SSD for Inspiron 14 3452?

Jump to solution

A slot for a WLAN or WWAN card - though it has the same format as one for an mSATA drive -- is electrically incompatible with an mSATA drive.  It is not possible to install one in the wireless socket of this system.

0 Kudos
Lilcutetea
1 Copper

Jump to solution

EJN63, this is a great manual you've provided.  The only problem is Dell didn't provide the internal hardware to hook up a hdd, nor did they include one.  So, while it would normally be easy to just go buy one, plug it in and go, you can't.  There's no pin set and no ribbon cable.  It is literally impossible to expand the storage in this way.  Dell sold us <ADMIN NOTE: Profane>

8 Xenon

Jump to solution

There are two versions of this model - one with a conventional hard drive and the other with an embedded SSD.  They serve different purposes - the former is a notebook;  the other, a glorified tablet.  

It's really up to the user to determine what they want to do with the system before purchase and understand the limitations of the system -- you do indeed sacrifice for the sake of a low price (the low price probably draws most buyers).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Lilcutetea
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Okay, I see what you mean in regards to the consumer, but there are two things to consider: 1)they advertise it as a SSD, which it is not.  To call it that is misleading (I can replace a SSD). 2) Even if it was EMMC they did not reveal that the user is unable to add on a hdd, even though there is a space for it.  

Just the fact that I am unable to add a hdd is not implied and it is unfair to the consumer to leave that to the imagination.  

If I have learned anything it is this: regardless of when you plan to open it (in the event of a gift) you should open a Dell product immediately to confirm it meets your expectations, because Dell does not care and will not replace or let you upgrade after 30 days.  And since it is a factory configuration it is not covered under the warranty.

Lilcutetea
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I see that this is an old post but I was wondering if you were able to resolve this.  

I almost did, but hit a snag along the way.  I called and they were more than happy to send me a pinset with ribbon cable for a hdd to be added (after a looong time explaining the issue).  However, there is no receptacle on the mobo for the ribbon.  This renders the pinset useless.  

Well then I called to see about a refund or upgrade tech support was sympathetic and said I should be able to get it figured out with customer care, so they transferred me there.  The resolution department informed me that they have a strict 30 day policy, even after I reminded them that I was now looking to buy a more expensive laptop.  In the end I got hung up on, after being on the phone for over an hour and a half.  

Your options: sell it to someone who may have use for an inexpensive, easy to work on laptop.  Buy a large enough SD card to hold all the programs you want, and upgrade your RAM as much as the system will let you.  In the end, unbox your Dell immediately to make sure it meets your expectations.

8 Xenon

Jump to solution

SSD means solid state drive - flash memory.  That's what was advertised and that's what Dell sold.

With any purchase, it's generally better to research before buying to avoid buyer's remorse.  With computers, that is particularly true - many manufacturers provide no money-back satisfaction guarantee.
Price is no guarantee either - Apple charges among the highest prices in the industry, and provides only 14 days to return a product that doesn't meet the buyer's satisfaction.

0 Kudos
Lilcutetea
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Most people do not consider SSD and eMMC interchangeable terms.  So, yes, it is flash memory, but a DRIVE is typically removable.  

I didn't open it right away and check it out, but I also never suspected they would have a slot for a hdd with no hardware to attach one.  That just doesn't make any sense.  The place on the mobo is there to add the receptacle, but the piece was never soldered in.  That's the most frustrating thing.  I can handle small amounts of internal storage and RAM, but disallowing expansion in 2016 is silly when a laptop is advertised as being great for students.  Last time I checked students need to store a lot of ***: programs, documents, etc.  

You obviously disagree with my rationale; I didn't get on here to pick a fight.  I only came to inform people that may be misled.  

8 Xenon

Jump to solution

It's very common for low-end notebooks to be essentially appliances now -- -many can't even take memory upgrades.  To get the price of the model in question as low as it is and still provide a profit for the ODM and Dell, every cost has to be cut.

It is true you can now get notebooks for under $300 -- and ALL of them involve sacrifices for the sake of cost.

0 Kudos
Wheelz85
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have a question for you guys I have the model with the 500 gig hd and was wondering if it is possible for me to upgrade to a ssd.

0 Kudos
8 Xenon

Jump to solution

Yes.  Any 2.5" SSD will fit in place of the hard drive.

0 Kudos