Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2015 17:00

How to install SSD for Inspiron 14 3452?

Hello - I think I'm in over my head here. I just bought the Inspiron 14 model 3452 laptop, with 32GB eMMC hard drive. I opened the back of the case, thinking it would be relatively easy to install an SSD drive. However, all I see is an empty slot for the HDD with no pins for the SSD to go into. Not sure if there is something else I need to be opening? I couldn't find any instructional videos, and am afraid to do much else with this. Please help, obviously I am a novice when it comes to these things. I have previously used an SSD drive as an external storage option, but wanted to install it within the laptop this time around.

Thank you in advance!

4 Posts

December 8th, 2015 20:00

Thank you for this reply, most helpful one out of all of them. Obviously, you feel my pain! I did install an Kingston 8GB SODIMM and that helped. I will try using an SDHC card next, although I don't use much apps at all on this notebook. Will also try your recommendations for cleaning the Win10 install too. Thx again!

1 Message

December 30th, 2015 18:00

Thanks so much for this post, it really helps. Can you explain how the Sd card will help with the Windows update?

1 Message

January 27th, 2016 16:00

2.- Get a class 10 SD card and use it to install your apps and windows updates. One thing I forgot to mention is that this computer is unusable out of the box, because the newest windows 10 update requires more free space than the one physically available on your computer.  Using the SD card will let you update the computer as needed.

I have this exact system from the Black Friday 2015 deal I purchased online.  It has the exact same Windows 10 updating problem, missing the exact same parts.  I tried the Windows 10 update option of using an external HDD for the updates, and it would not work.  Windows 10 won't update using any drive other than the drive the OS is on according to Dell support.  So why would it allow the use of an SD card to update?  Are you saying the class 10 SD card replaces the existing 32 GB drive as the drive the computer boots from normally, and you put the whole OS on the class 10 drive?

Thanks

EDIT: After manually moving the recovery folder from c:\ over to an external hdd, windows 10 for some reason finally allowed me to use another external hdd for update purposes, and fully updated. (shrug)

3 Posts

January 28th, 2016 07:00

KEITH284

"Are you saying the class 10 SD card replaces the existing 32 GB drive as the drive the computer boots from normally, and you put the whole OS on the class 10 drive?"

Hi Keith, glad to try to help a fellow user:

If you read my whole review, you will see that I did a clean install of windows... like CLEAN CLEAN meaning erasing recovery partitions and installing windows to its bare essentials. this will actually help with the update, I see you found a workaround by moving the folder to an external HDD.

I guess that with this computer you just have to find what works best for you.

to be real honest, I got my daily use laptop back and this dell has been sitting on a drawer for quite some time.

none the less for a computer that was less than 200 bucks it still is a bargain

Best"!

1 Message

February 9th, 2016 05:00

Has someone considered using an mSATA SSD instead of the SD card solution?

It appears that the laptop has a WIFI mSATA card, but we could easily substitute that with a USB WIFI solution.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 9th, 2016 08:00

A slot for a WLAN or WWAN card - though it has the same format as one for an mSATA drive -- is electrically incompatible with an mSATA drive.  It is not possible to install one in the wireless socket of this system.

4 Posts

February 17th, 2016 10:00

EJN63, this is a great manual you've provided.  The only problem is Dell didn't provide the internal hardware to hook up a hdd, nor did they include one.  So, while it would normally be easy to just go buy one, plug it in and go, you can't.  There's no pin set and no ribbon cable.  It is literally impossible to expand the storage in this way.  Dell sold us 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 18th, 2016 04:00

There are two versions of this model - one with a conventional hard drive and the other with an embedded SSD.  They serve different purposes - the former is a notebook;  the other, a glorified tablet.  

It's really up to the user to determine what they want to do with the system before purchase and understand the limitations of the system -- you do indeed sacrifice for the sake of a low price (the low price probably draws most buyers).

4 Posts

February 18th, 2016 18:00

Okay, I see what you mean in regards to the consumer, but there are two things to consider: 1)they advertise it as a SSD, which it is not.  To call it that is misleading (I can replace a SSD). 2) Even if it was EMMC they did not reveal that the user is unable to add on a hdd, even though there is a space for it.  

Just the fact that I am unable to add a hdd is not implied and it is unfair to the consumer to leave that to the imagination.  

If I have learned anything it is this: regardless of when you plan to open it (in the event of a gift) you should open a Dell product immediately to confirm it meets your expectations, because Dell does not care and will not replace or let you upgrade after 30 days.  And since it is a factory configuration it is not covered under the warranty.

4 Posts

February 18th, 2016 18:00

I see that this is an old post but I was wondering if you were able to resolve this.  

I almost did, but hit a snag along the way.  I called and they were more than happy to send me a pinset with ribbon cable for a hdd to be added (after a looong time explaining the issue).  However, there is no receptacle on the mobo for the ribbon.  This renders the pinset useless.  

Well then I called to see about a refund or upgrade tech support was sympathetic and said I should be able to get it figured out with customer care, so they transferred me there.  The resolution department informed me that they have a strict 30 day policy, even after I reminded them that I was now looking to buy a more expensive laptop.  In the end I got hung up on, after being on the phone for over an hour and a half.  

Your options: sell it to someone who may have use for an inexpensive, easy to work on laptop.  Buy a large enough SD card to hold all the programs you want, and upgrade your RAM as much as the system will let you.  In the end, unbox your Dell immediately to make sure it meets your expectations.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 18th, 2016 19:00

SSD means solid state drive - flash memory.  That's what was advertised and that's what Dell sold.

With any purchase, it's generally better to research before buying to avoid buyer's remorse.  With computers, that is particularly true - many manufacturers provide no money-back satisfaction guarantee.
Price is no guarantee either - Apple charges among the highest prices in the industry, and provides only 14 days to return a product that doesn't meet the buyer's satisfaction.

4 Posts

February 18th, 2016 21:00

Most people do not consider SSD and eMMC interchangeable terms.  So, yes, it is flash memory, but a DRIVE is typically removable.  

I didn't open it right away and check it out, but I also never suspected they would have a slot for a hdd with no hardware to attach one.  That just doesn't make any sense.  The place on the mobo is there to add the receptacle, but the piece was never soldered in.  That's the most frustrating thing.  I can handle small amounts of internal storage and RAM, but disallowing expansion in 2016 is silly when a laptop is advertised as being great for students.  Last time I checked students need to store a lot of ***: programs, documents, etc.  

You obviously disagree with my rationale; I didn't get on here to pick a fight.  I only came to inform people that may be misled.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 19th, 2016 04:00

It's very common for low-end notebooks to be essentially appliances now -- -many can't even take memory upgrades.  To get the price of the model in question as low as it is and still provide a profit for the ODM and Dell, every cost has to be cut.

It is true you can now get notebooks for under $300 -- and ALL of them involve sacrifices for the sake of cost.

1 Message

February 23rd, 2016 00:00

I have a question for you guys I have the model with the 500 gig hd and was wondering if it is possible for me to upgrade to a ssd.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 23rd, 2016 04:00

Yes.  Any 2.5" SSD will fit in place of the hard drive.

No Events found!