Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 20th, 2015 17:00

How to install SSD for Inspiron 14 3452?

Hello - I think I'm in over my head here. I just bought the Inspiron 14 model 3452 laptop, with 32GB eMMC hard drive. I opened the back of the case, thinking it would be relatively easy to install an SSD drive. However, all I see is an empty slot for the HDD with no pins for the SSD to go into. Not sure if there is something else I need to be opening? I couldn't find any instructional videos, and am afraid to do much else with this. Please help, obviously I am a novice when it comes to these things. I have previously used an SSD drive as an external storage option, but wanted to install it within the laptop this time around.

Thank you in advance!

2 Posts

April 25th, 2016 13:00

After a few hours on with tech support asking them why it doesn't specify that the hard drive is not upgradeable on certain 3452 laptops I was able to discover it is based on the CPU option (Celeron N3050 CPU and Motherboard are embedded drives, no connector, the Pentium N3700 CPU and Motherboard have the connector for a swappable drive, may be others but this is verfied).

As I said above the motherboard with the fast quad core CPU (N3700) has the connector and I was able to grab one on ebay for $75USD (Dell Inspiron 14 3452 Intel Pentium N3700 Quad Core to 2.4GHZ Motherboard JX7F0) JX7F0 is the part number. I was basically told that I'm SOL even though it never specified when I bought the laptop (and I am still in Warranty) that the upgrade path was NIL. Insult to injury I will also need to buy a drive caddy and a cable ($25-$30USD) a bit much to spend on a cheap laptop but hey, it will squeeze a little longer out of laptop's life.

1 Message

August 31st, 2016 11:00

Only way I can see is to use the only other Sata port via the optical drive through the use of an extension. Losing the built in optical and going with usb optical. Can't help on the memory side though.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 2nd, 2016 10:00

The eMMC version is essentially a glorified Windows tablet - the eMMC SSD is the only internal storage and nothing more can be added - there is no other port on the mainboard that will take any other internal storage, nor is there an optical drive.

There IS a version of this system that ships with a hard drive -- but it uses a different mainboard.  If you want that option (you CAN change the HDD for an SSD on that model), return the existing system and order or purchase a new one.  The only way to have that option with your current one is to change the mainboard - which will easily cost more than 50% of the original purchase price.

1 Message

January 9th, 2017 11:00

Do you do the install of both before reinstalling win 100?

4 Posts

September 18th, 2017 07:00

Im looking at using the SD card option of your suggestion. Would a SDXC card  work with this machine?

4 Posts

September 18th, 2017 07:00

I'm looking at using the SD card option of your suggestion. Would a SDXC card  work with this machine?

1 Message

September 22nd, 2017 17:00

like others I bought  this on sale as an  emergency backup.   I didn't even consider the possibility that Dell would  install windows 100 and sell a computer that can't really run windows 10. Came with 6.19 gig free space.  The thumb drive they sold as an add on at a very reasonable price has has more than twice the space 64G. So  I have a web  browser/ mp3 player if I can install a music program  on the thumb drive.

Could just learn more about linux  or resort to the circular file but in any case, after  25 or more years I've got my last DELL

March 19th, 2018 11:00

So, what's the largest/latest SD card that this Inspiron 14 3452 can support?

1 Message

March 26th, 2018 15:00

EJN,,

Question:  Since you were the first one to ACTUALLY seem to know that the Insp 14 3k series has an eMMC drive ONLY.  ... TAG Your It... :)

Is there a drive adapter kit or remote sata multi-connect for installing an actual HDD/SDD in the provided space. 

I'm thinking this because this same chassis is used on a large number of Inspiron series using a similar screen size.  

Any thoughts???

Thanks John

2 Posts

February 14th, 2019 10:00

Thank you.  I would like to try your solution.  When I get to step 3, I'm not sure what a 64gb sd card is?  And does it get installed internally?

No Events found!