Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2013 12:00

How to recover W7 OS on new HDD from USB flash disk?

I have my friends laptop Dell Inspirion 1545. The HDD have many bad sectors but I had time to do:

• a copy of dell recovery image to usb flash drive via Dell Backup and Recovery Application
  • a copy of very important files
  • and a copy of 2 partitions to each image file using Acronis True Image application:
  1. FAT16           Pri        39,19MB  FS:FAT16 Partition: 0xde (EISA configuration)
  2. RECOVERY  Pri,Act  14.65GB  NTFS

RECOVERY partition have the same content as usb flash drive with I used to make a Dell recovery image.

If she buy a new HDD what should I do/use to recover Windows 7 from USB flash drive?

PS. I have nothing to loose and I try to play with failed hdd.
First I make partition from LBA 0 to first 80GB where were bad sectors and hide this partition.
Next I make those 2 "dell" partitions, and rest for system files.
Next I recover those 2 "dell" partitions using Acronis True Image.
Next I use usb flash drive to try recover Windows 7, it recovers for maybe 10 seconds and it says done, please restart.
When it shows BOOTMGR is missing press ctrl + alt +del and now I can see only 2 partitions labeled OS ~298GB and RECOVERY ~2GB.

9 Posts

August 26th, 2013 01:00

The problem is solved.

The best solution is to use ImageX 2.0 to extract Factory.wim file from RECOVERY partition or from USB flash disk. Just search on google. Clean OS installation is also an option - I know about it. Fortunately, this Dell Factory Settings does not contain unnecessary software.

Thanks all for help!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 19th, 2013 16:00

9 Posts

August 19th, 2013 23:00

Hi Osprey,

I can't boot the system because HDD was formatted and partitioned...

Is any difference in creating recovery discs or flash disk using the Dell Datasafe or Dell Backup and Recovery Application?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 20th, 2013 17:00

I do not know of a way to restore the recovery partition once it's no longer set up in the proper partition on the hard drive. I think the best solution is to purchase a Dell Windows 7 reinstallation disc. They aren't expensive. Your laptop has a Windows 7 license, so you're only buying the disc.

9 Posts

August 20th, 2013 23:00

I didn't know about this :/

Dell has two Backup and Recovery Programs, DataSafe Local Backup 2.0, and Dell Backup and Recovery Manager.

Dell Inspirons, Studios, and XPS Systems use DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 as of April 22, 2009.
If you have an Inspiron, Studio, or XPS that you purchased before April 22, 2009.
Click here for Restore and Reinstall information.

Dell OptiPlex, Latitude, Vostro, and Precisions use Dell Backup and Recovery Manager as of May 26, 2009.
If you have an OptiPlex, Latitude, or Precision that you purchased before May 26, 2009
Click here for Restore and Reinstall information.

Dell Inspirion 1545 was purchased 2009-10-23.

I will try to use DataSafe Local Backup 2.0 at other PC, maybe it will recognize the copy of dell recovery image from usb flash drive with was created via Dell Backup and Recovery Application.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 23rd, 2013 17:00

Ok, give it a try. Let me know how things work out.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 24th, 2013 03:00

I recommend manual clean installation. See Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean Install of Windows 7 (page 8):

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/

This will give you superior performance than the Dell Factory Settings. As for hard drive replacement I recommend use of a Solid State Drive, which will also give you superior performance. Note the Dell DataSafe programs will fail to function if the new SSD has less storage capacity than the original HDD's capacity, another advantage to clean installation.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 27th, 2013 16:00

Excellent! Glad that worked.

1 Message

June 10th, 2015 21:00

I just recieved a new hard drive for my Dell Inspiron 580. It came with a recovery flash drive. Do I need to set the boot sequence in the BIOS or will the computer just recognize the flash drive?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 15th, 2015 15:00

hi osprey4

I did create the USB recovery using Dell Datasfe program. 
I replaced my HDD (since the old one was not working well anymore) and used the USB recovery to bring the Factory state to my laptop. Everything run perfectly but after restarting NO OPERATION SYSTEM FOUND.

Bios see the new HDD
Boot options - HDD first. also when i boot from HDD there is an Info > NO OP FOUND

What shall I do, please help

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 15th, 2015 16:00

Hi zakknafein,

This is quite an old thread, so I need to make sure I understand the details. Would you please provide the model of your Dell, operating system and version of Dell Datasafe?

9 Posts

December 15th, 2015 23:00

I think that You should mark partition with OS as active, for example use Acronis Disk Director.

It should works.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 16th, 2015 01:00

I don't know if I understand correctly but:

1. I dont have any partition - the HDD is new..
2. I dont have windows, how can I make partition activ without OS...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 16th, 2015 01:00

Hi osprey4,

thanks for reply.

My laptop - Dell XPS 15 (l502x)
Windows 7 home pro
dell datasafe - well I dont know ...I downloaded it about 2 months ago. (cant access a HDD so.. cannot say exactly)

Here comes whole story, so you have all Information:

1. My windows was running slow, so I decided to make a Factory Reset (once already performed on my laptop)
2. Somehow I couldn't make a Factory Reset from Partition (F8 - Repair options)
3. Dowloaded the Dell Datasafe and made a bootable USB Recovery drive (two of them, in case) - Succesfully
4. Restarted the computer and booted from USB... - Windows files where loading...etc... Everything went great. Proccess finished without problem.
5. Reseted the computer -  NO OPERATION SYSTEM FOUND
6. DRAMA! but keeping calm
7. Run Diagnostic - Error 0146
8. Bought new HDD (seagate SSHD 500gb)
9. Checked if BIOS see the disc - YES - installed Windows from USB (see Pkt 4.)
10. NO OPERATION SYSTEM FOUND

Boot options> HDD first - also reseted the Bios option to default

getting a bit flustrated here. Checked 100 forums. Some ppl seemed to have that problem and never found solution.

Don't really know what to do. Even if i would decide to make a clean Instal of win 7 (which I dont really want to) I can't even get it anymore.

Please help!

Thx

PS
excuse my English - it is not my mother language

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

December 16th, 2015 03:00

2000-0146 the HDD is as good as dead. The Dell DataSafe image is more than likely corrupt making media you made useless. Also it doesn't like reinstalling on a drive a different size to the original (a limitation fixed in Dell Backup and Recovery). 

You have two choices of action

1. Download a Windows 10 TH2 and Clean Install (recommended) using your Windows 7 OEM key:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-10-oem-and-retail-iso/

2. Procure a Dell Windows 7 Reinstallation DVD from eBay and Clean Install.

I recommend Windows 10 TH2.

No Events found!