Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 5th, 2014 06:00

How to recover data without initializing???

My laptop died, so I pulled the hard drive and connected it to my Desktop computer via SATA/USB cable.

Disk Manager sees the external drive, but says it must be initialized ... which would erase the data I am trying to rescue!

Is there another way?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 5th, 2014 08:00

If Windows won't mount the drive, and you need the data, you will need to weigh the need for the data against the cost of recovery.  There are some utilities that can attempt to read drives that Windows won't - Ontrack's Easy Recovery is one -- but anything you do can reduce the chances of professional recovery, if that becomes necessary.  It costs at least a few hundred dollars to recover a drive - one reasonably priced, well regarded recovery service is Gillware (www.gillware.com).

4 Posts

February 5th, 2014 08:00

Thanks for your reply.  Can you tell me in simple terms why my desktop won't recognize or mount the external drive?  I had no trouble doing this with another dead laptop drive.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 5th, 2014 14:00

It sounds like whatever damaged the notebook caused hard drive damage in this case.

The only certainty where hard drives are concerned is that all drives will fail at some point - and the only sure road to recovery is backup before they do.

1 Message

February 14th, 2014 18:00

The partition might be in inactive state. You can activate it using the disk part commands or recover the data using recovery software like Remo Recover

10 Posts

February 18th, 2014 02:00

Did you manage to sort out your data recovery. With most laptops there is more than one partition, such as boot, recovery and also your data parturition. I would suggest not altering these partitions if you want to have any chance of getting your data back.

10 Posts

February 18th, 2014 05:00

Have you enquired to have it recovered professionally. Or is the data not that critical for you.

4 Posts

No, I rescued 2 other hard drives but not this one.  The solution is too expensive via store, and too complicated to try at home.

10 Posts

Have a look at the costs on Dataquest International Ltd website they may be more cost effective.

4 Posts

Yes ... it's too expensive and I believe the data is just personal photos.  

8 Posts

August 31st, 2020 04:00

Well, it is not possible to recover data without initializing, so first of you need to initialize a disk by following the below steps:

• First of all, connect the uninitialized disk to your computer.
  • Next, press Windows + R keys to open the Run command and then type there MSC and then hit the Enter key.
  • You have to then find the uninitialized or unknown USB flash drive with I/O device error and then right-click on it and then select the option ‘Initialize Disk’.
  • After this, you have to set the disk to initialize and then set the drive as MBR or GPT.

After initializing a disk without losing data, now you can easily get your files back by using any recommended third-party data recovery tool. Good luck…

No Events found!