Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

NJ

July 23rd, 2007 04:00

How to repair a partition table

I got a new Inspiron 1520 running Vista Home. Used the Vista Home utility to partition C into two but got an error saying there is not enough space. The drive is a 160 GB one with C at 140, the recovery partition of 10 GB and around 2.5 GB in other space. After this, I installed Partition Magic and tried to repeat the operation but got a compatibility error. When I restarted the computer, it did not come on, saying the OS could not load because of corrupted files. The inbuilt repair utility returned the message that its fixed the partition table but the OS still does not load. What do I do? Is Fdisk an option and if so, how do I get it to work on the laptop? Please help. Thanks Nutty

12.7K Posts

July 23rd, 2007 15:00

Some times you have to run the Vista repair several times before it will boot again, I have heard of members running it up to 5 times to successfully repair the boot sector, keep trying.

as for the "not enough space" error

July 23rd, 2007 17:00

Thanks. I got it to work finally. However the solution was different:
Insert Win98 CD
Boot up and go to DOS
Run Fdisk from the RAMDRIVE (could be a:\)
Delete all partitions - this works only if you have no data or software
Create a new primary partition
Create a secondary one
The problem with Fdisk is it does not show the real size of the HDD (I have 160 GB) so was unsure but it created the primary partition and I could then use Vista's built in drive shrinker (Computer management>Storage>Disk management to make other partitions.

1 Message

February 8th, 2011 15:00

How do I repair my partition on my computer. I have vista

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 8th, 2011 17:00

Hi Hcrowhop,

Please start a new thread and include a description of the problem you are having. Also be sure to include the model of your Dell.

14.4K Posts

February 9th, 2011 06:00

The problem with Fdisk is it does not show the real size of the HDD (I have 160 GB) so was unsure but it created the primary partition and I could then use Vista's built in drive shrinker (Computer management>Storage>Disk management to make other partitions.

iirc with hdd capacity over 64GB the version of fdisk that shipped with win98 cannot correctly see the volume in MB but will partition the drive correctly if you use percentages.

For hdd>64GB you need the version of fdisk that shipped with ME to correctly identify the disc capacity.

No Events found!