I just upgraded from Vista 32 bit to 7 64 bit in my Dell Precision M6300 Laptop. I installed Windows 7 on a new drive and have no issues. The problem is using the old drive in an external enclosures. The old drive is a WD 320 GB 5400 RPM. It was working perfectly when I removed it. To prepare the drive I deleted the partitions, created a single partition, and formatted as NTFS. When I connect the drive via USB in the external enclosure it sees the disk as the correct size but not initialized and labeled "unknown" in disk management. When I try to initialize it I get "cannot perform the requested operation because of an I/O device error". I have tried this with another drive (Hitachi Travelstar 100 GB 7200 RPM) and get the same error. I tried a different enclosure - same error. I tried the SATA connection but it nearly freezes windows 7. I tried using the drives unpartitioned or with a single unformatted partition - same error. I tried hooking the drives to an XP 32 bit system - same error. I tried hooking to another W7 64 bit system - same error. The strange thing is I can install either of these drives directly in the laptop and load windows without a hitch. Another oddity is when I use a Seagate Momentus 80GB 5400 drive in either enclosure it works perfectly over USB or SATA. Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. I just wanted to use these drives for backup and storage.
External 1: Vantec NexStar3 USB 2.0 & SATA
External 2: Venus DS2 USB 2.0 & SATA
SATA: IOGEAR 2 Port 3Gbps eSATA Model GPS702e3
There are no current drivers for the NexStar enclosure and the Venus doesn't appear to have any. Both are using standard windows usb mass storage device drivers. There are no bangs or question marks in the device manager.
The IOGear adapter has the current SATA drivers installed.
Thanks for your input.
I was referring to your USB drivers, which are probably included in the chipset drivers. Go to downloads and grab those and try installing them.
Please post back and let me know if you need more help.
It was a bios level password on the system and hard drive. Even with the drive wiped it would not work until I installed the drive in the original system, logged into the bios, and removed both passwords. Did this to both drives and they work perfectly in any enclosure now. Guess I didn't think it would remain on an empty or raw drive.