Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 4th, 2008 02:00

I just want to buy a spare part!

It's pretty simple.

I just want ot buy a spare part!

My Vostro 1710 has room for 2 HDDs but only the cable for the primary drive.

I want to buy a cable to connect a second drive.

I think the part number is U185D, 'Assembly,Cable,DUAL HDD,1710'

Do you think I can find where to order this cable. I've searched high and low on the Dell website, Google etc. No joy!

Please help me spend my money.

Cheers

Matt

10 Posts

December 9th, 2008 23:00

Email                                             : PartsSales_ANZDell@dell.com

Part Sales Toll Free (Australia)        : 1800 505 180

Part Sales Toll Free (New Zealand) : 0800 444 617

3.7K Posts

December 4th, 2008 03:00

Hi enpty_oz, Have you tried giving support a ring, see HERE

10 Posts

December 4th, 2008 17:00

Thanks for the reply.

I had thought of giving support a ring.

However the thought of hanging on the phone for a long time as opposed to a few mouse clicks seemed pointless.

Obviously I was wrong. With my HP laptop it took me less than half an hour to download the parts manual and order the parts required.

I would have thought that a company like Dell would make purchasing spares just as simple.

PS. The link you gave is for the USA, I'm in Australia.

4 Posts

December 4th, 2008 18:00

Matt,

Most of the time with spare drives they will come with their own cables. Say if you purchase the drive at your local computer parts store in the box they should have ide cables, sata cables, etc.  At least that is the case here in the states with drives like western digital, seagate, ibm, etc.  I work in manufacturing at dell and i am in the materials group. i looked at the p/n you stated above and it does not show in the inventory.  Are you sure you have the correct number?  Do you know what type of cable it needs? ( sata, ide, scsi )  Mostly if it is a newer system you probably need a sata cable.  these should be common at your local computer store or bundled with the new drive that you buy for extra storage.  If they are sata they are usually blue, red, or orange and if you are looking top down at the connector it will be in sort of an "L" shape and keyed to only fit one way.  Most of these drives have two. one for data and one for power respectively. the power cable would be multi colored if i am not mistaken and be joined with one or two other connectors on the same cable.

Hope this helps you man!  If you do find another part number I'd be glad to see what kind of cable it is.  I'm betting though that you will get one when you buy a new drive. Just make sure that drive is compatible with your system and then the cable they supply should work.

regards,

gary

3.7K Posts

December 5th, 2008 03:00

Hi empty_oz, Sorry about that, try this link HERE

10 Posts

December 7th, 2008 22:00

G'day Gary,

Thanks for your reply.

Being a laptop the cable is a proprietary dell part, which is why I'm after the part through Dell in the first place.

If you visit the following URL you will see where I obtained the part number from.

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productcompare.aspx?c=ca&category_id=6608&l=en&s=corp&prods=N156F,U185D

The N156F primary cable is the cable currently in my single drive system, the U185D dual cable is the cable I presume I need.

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers

Matt

10 Posts

December 8th, 2008 16:00

Here is a picture of what my HDD bay looks like. You can see that there is obviously room for a second drive and you can clearly see the original cable and the connectorfor the second HDD labelled 'HDDII'.

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2009 15:00

You will need the hard drive, hard drive bracket (T780F), and HDD cable-dual HDD (U185D).  Note: N156F if the hard drive cable for the primary drive.

Also, you will need four M3x3 screws (HD to carrier) and three M2.5x5 screws (carrier to mobo).

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

4 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 11:00

dell 800 456 3355 has it for about 80 dollars.

12.7K Posts

March 23rd, 2010 14:00

Texas Ron, nice find on newmodeus, I also spotted this, never knew they existed.

http://newmodeus.com/shop/index.php?main_page=page&id=7&chapter=0

6 Posts

August 22nd, 2011 21:00

Here is a website for anyone trying to find the SATA HDD cable for a 2nd Hard Drive in a Dell Vostro 1710 laptop:

www.newmodeus.com , they have the cable for $29.95 and it works fine, I have ordered & installed mine already. They also have other parts for this laptop. AND ALL YOU NEED IS THE CABLE BY ITSELF, the screws come with the hard drive & the drive bay is already in your laptop. I just got done putting mine in and works fine.

July 18th, 2017 13:00

Hello,

I am a little late by few years, but its better to be late than never.

Fox Micro International is an authorized Federal/ Global Partner. We are a small authorized replacement spare parts vendor for Dell branded products. When Dell can not supply directly we are one of the go to entities Dell refers to. You are more than welcome to discuss your issue with one of our sales/tech engineers. We do also offer repair service on Dell products.

No Events found!