Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2008 13:00

IDE Device Failed

I have a Dell Inspiron 1501, right at a year old. I tried to reinstall and repair Windos Vista with one of the Windows Vista cd's I received from Dell. Repair runs and runs for hours and does not do anything. I got a Computer Failed to start message yesterday.  Today I am running the dell diagnostics test.  I have received the following messages:

Error Code: 0F00:075D IDE Device Failes.  The self test failed the read portion of the test

Error Code: 0F00:0244 Block 89522623:Uncorrectable data error or media is write-protected

Not sure if this means my hard drive has crashed, or is there some other solution?

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 15:00

Mine was after a Vista update too.  I think the Service Pack 2.  I have a 2nd Vista installation disk.  I am trying that one now, and seems to be working so far.  It is at the completing installation stage.

8 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 15:00

I have the same exact system and am having the same exact problem.  "seems" to have occurred after a Vista update, though I cannot be sure of that.

Any help would be appreciated.

8 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 16:00

So you are trying a reinstall of Vista?  I prefer to not do that, if I can help it, since I will then have to reinstall all the programs.   Let me know how it goes.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2008 19:00

"Error Code: 0F00:0244 Block 89522623:Uncorrectable data error or media is write-protected"

This means the drive has bad sectors and must be replaced.  It has nothing to do with a Vista update.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2008 22:00

Failure rates on hard drives in the first year run about 1% - multiply that by the hundreds of millions of drives shipped per year and you'll see millions of failures.  Some drives DO fail early on.

3 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 22:00

I have reinstalled Vista.  Hated to do that, because I too hate the hassle of reinstalling everything.  At least I had my "important" files backed up to another computer.  Everything working okay so far. 

I find it hard to believe that this issue is not somehow related to the Vista update, though.  I have been reading too many posts here and on other sites where this is happening.  So, either its the Vista update, or Dell has badhard drives that are all going bad all of a sudden....on most posts I have read the peoples computers are year old or less.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 3rd, 2008 23:00

Not necessarily -- the install may simply have missed the bad sectors.  They'll reappear.

When the diagnostics report bad sectors, there's physical damage to the drive.  It may be the damage isn't, for now, fatal - but it's just a matter of time before the system takes another dive.

8 Posts

October 3rd, 2008 23:00

And the fact that you've reinstalled Vista says "it's not the hard drive".  I can get to my drive from the Command Line just fine, and the Recovery that I do says it was successful.  Then it won't boot, again.

I truly believe this is a Vista update issue.   Time will tell...if it is, we'll hear about it very soon.

1 Message

January 26th, 2012 06:00

Dell Vostro 1500 freezes

Error Code: 0F00:075D IDE Device Failes.  The self test failed the read portion of the test

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 26th, 2012 16:00

Hi Suncarelab,

Your laptop needs a new hard drive.

No Events found!