Highlighted
riley3
1 Copper

Inspirion 1318 CD Drive Problem

Hey, I'm new.

Today when booted up my laptop my CD drive went a little haywire and has not stopped.Basically the CD drive is constantly doing *something* I don't know what.

It is making noise, similarly to when you eject a disk, but it won't stop. Ever. Well, unless you put a disk in. And it works fine then. When I eject the disk it starts making noise and parts inside are moving and will not stop. I've restarted the computer a couple times and did some quick searching online but didn't find any solutions. That's also how I stumbled upon this site. 

So I was just wondering what, if any solution there is to this. Or if I just have to wait it out. I've had the computer for 20 months and it's given me a few problems along the way (aka giving me the whole "can't find the hard drive" + blue screen of death, and a couple of others, more recently refusing to burn an entire audio CD and the the disk drive not responding to commands right after, and for hours after as well)

Anyways, I hope there isn't a thread on this already, I did search, and that there is a possible solution.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
riley3
1 Copper

Re: Inspirion 1318 CD Drive Problem

Well it just stopped on it's own now. Hopefully for good! 🙂

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Hi Riley3,

It sounds like some application or process is trying to access your drive. The next time this happens, that's were you should concentrate your troubleshooting efforts.

0 Kudos
riley3
1 Copper

Okay, I never did think of that. It seems like a logical place to start. At the moment all is well and it seems to have fixed itself, but I do really appreciate the input. 

If it starts acting up again I will ask for some more assistance.

Thanks!

0 Kudos