Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 21st, 2016 08:00

Inspiron 15 HLDS +-RW GU90N drive failing?

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron 15-3521 64-bit system with Intel Core i3 @1.90 ghz and 6.00 GB RAM running Windows 8.1 Home edition. Over the past three days I have been unable to get my cd/DVD RW drive to actually write or even format any media. My drive will read both CDs and DVDs just fine without a single problem. If I insert a blank CD or DVD, it recognizes that the disk is blank, but when I attempt to write to the disk, the action will not complete. I have tried to burn both data and audio, and neither works. My device is shown as working properly in Device Manager with no conflicts.

When I attempt to drag and drop files to burn I get this message:

"The disk wasn't burned successfully. Make sure that you have the latest firmware for your CD or DVD burner installed, and then try again"

ImgBurn just gives multiple write errors in its log and stops attempting to write.

So far I have:

Run Microsoft Troubleshooter - hardware changes were made, but problem persists

Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers

Checked for new driver - best driver is already installed (cdrom.sys)

Run boot diagnostic - no errors

Run Dell Online Diagnostics - all tests passed

Tried burning in safe Mode - cannot burn

Restored to a point where drive worked - cannot burn

Gone through Osprey's troubleshooter toolkit - cannot burn

Attempted to update firmware, but Hitachi-LG doesn't have any firmware updates (or firmware at all) for their GU90N drives

checked drive with NeroInfotool - drive shows as green and ready to use

In a last ditch effort, I went ahead and factory reset my laptop, but the problem is still there. I don't understand how every diagnostic says the drive is preforming properly, but it is not. Is this drive failing in some strange, undetectable way?

Thank you for any help or insight

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 24th, 2016 06:00

osprey4

Ok, same brand does not mean same discs. Although Maxell and Sony are typically pretty good. But have you burned these specific discs successfully? Can you think of any changes made to the system recently?

Yes, I have. I was in the middle of burning four audio discs when my burner stopped burning. I hadn't made any changes to my system, nor had I installed any programs. At the time was burning the discs with MediaMonkey.  It was burning fine, and between one disc and the next it wasn't. I had a stack of twenty blank Maxell discs and went through all of them, but the burner wouldn't burn. I tried the Sony DVD-RWs next (eight of them) and no burn either.

Sounds like time for a new drive.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 21st, 2016 14:00

Which software are you using for writing to the CD?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 21st, 2016 16:00

Hi raebridge,

Most of the things you've check really only deal with the device drivers, not the actual hardware. So there could be a hardware problem that device manager, for example, wouldn't detect. 

A couple questions. Are you having trouble with both CD and DVD media? Have you recently started using a different brand of blank discs?

By the way, you should not need to format discs every time. That's only needed when you are using "live file system".

8 Posts

January 21st, 2016 17:00

I've tried using Imgburn to write data disc (CD-R and DVD-RW), Windows Media Player and MediaMonkey to write audio discs, as well as Windows drag and drop to try and write to a CD and DVD. the drive spins up like it is trying to write, but after 30 seconds or so writing fails.

Thanks for trying to help me on this ^_^

8 Posts

January 21st, 2016 17:00

Hi,

I'm having trouble with both CD and DVD media. I always use the same disk brands (Maxell for CDs, Sony for DVD) .

I usually don't format discs, I just wanted to test if the drive would at least format, but no dice.

Thanks for trying to help me :)

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2016 04:00

Ok, same brand does not mean same discs. Although Maxell and Sony are typically pretty good. But have you burned these specific discs successfully? Can you think of any changes made to the system recently?

8 Posts

January 23rd, 2016 18:00

Yes, I have. I was in the middle of burning four audio discs when my burner stopped burning. I hadn't made any changes to my system, nor had I installed any programs. At the time was burning the discs with MediaMonkey.  It was burning fine, and between one disc and the next it wasn't. I had a stack of twenty blank Maxell discs and went through all of them, but the burner wouldn't burn. I tried the Sony DVD-RWs next (eight of them) and no burn either.

8 Posts

January 24th, 2016 22:00

That's very disappointing performance. This computer is less than two years old. I've burned maybe twenty discs total on this system and the drive has called it quits?

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 25th, 2016 10:00

ieee488

That's very disappointing performance. This computer is less than two years old. I've burned maybe twenty discs total on this system and the drive has called it quits?

Lasers go bad.

8 Posts

January 25th, 2016 19:00

Lasers go bad.

::Sigh::  well, if no one else has a better explanation or something else for me to try, I guess I'll mark this thread answered and look to getting a new drive. I'll leave it open for another day in case someone thinks of something. Still can't understand why a computer only fifteen months old is having drive failure. Funny that it happened less than a month after my warranty expired.

Thank you all for your input.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 26th, 2016 06:00

ieee488

Lasers go bad.

::Sigh::  well, if no one else has a better explanation or something else for me to try, I guess I'll mark this thread answered and look to getting a new drive. I'll leave it open for another day in case someone thinks of something. Still can't understand why a computer only fifteen months old is having drive failure. Funny that it happened less than a month after my warranty expired.

Thank you all for your input.

Since you are determined to get more detailed answers, I suggest you read the following which has the mathematics about reliability and failure rates.  http://www.gatewaycoalition.org/files/Enggstats/htmls/Ch4.pdf

8 Posts

January 26th, 2016 09:00

Since you are determined to get more detailed answers, I suggest you read the following which has the mathematics about reliability and failure rates.  http://www.gatewaycoalition.org/files/Enggstats/htmls/Ch4.pdf

Thank you for the interesting reading. My determination was to get a more detailed answer on how to see if it actually is a hardware failure vs a software failure, though the provided link has supplied me a better understanding of just how failure rates are determined. Taking calculus finally has a real world application for me, so that's something. Doesn't change that  that it appears I only got a grand total of 110 minutes actual burning time (average time to burn a disk X number of disks burned - five minutes and twenty two discs, respectively) before the drive on a new computer began to show failure. Ah well.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 26th, 2016 13:00

I rarely burn DVDs anymore, but I have a supply of about 100 made-in-Japan DVD-R. You can't find them in the stores. I ordered them online. Or, see if you can get a hold of Verbatims at Best Buy.

March 10th, 2017 21:00

THIS IS THE FIX:

To resolve this problem, remove the affected filter drivers. To do this, follow these steps:

Click Start, type regedit in the Start Search box, and then click regedit in the Programs list.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type your password or click Continue.

Locate and then click the following registry subkey:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Warning There can be many instances of the registry subkey that is mentioned in step 2. You must make sure that you are in the appropriate registry subkey before you change the UpperFilters and the LowerFilters values. To verify that you are in the appropriate registry subkey, make sure that the Default value is DVD/CD-ROM and the Class value is CDROM.

If you see UpperFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click UpperFilters, and then click Delete.

Click Yes to confirm the removal of the UpperFilters registry entry.

If you see LowerFilters in the pane on the right side, right-click LowerFilters, and then click Delete.

Click Yes to confirm the removal of the LowerFilters registry entry.

Exit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.

2 Posts

January 29th, 2019 02:00

I am having the same problem my gu90n can read but not write; ended up discarding a lot of media thinking it was a problem with the media.

It is totally shameful that a drive should fail with not so much use.

I buy Dells and recommend them to friends and now i fell bad about it; I do hope Dell will take care of this situation.

No Events found!