Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 30th, 2011 15:00

Inspiron 1545 won't start "Missing Operating System" Help please!!

Right, i was on my laptop yesterday afternoon when my display driver crashed but fixed itself. I restarted but it wouldn't load past the dell startup page. It went to the black screen and said "No Boot Server". I looked online for answers but ended up putting the Dell Operating Systems Disk in as people said it would help.

Well, i pressed f12 and loaded the cd, it said it was loading files then it went to the windows start up page which was great! It gave me the list of options such as "System Restore and System repair etc". I clicked all the options and nothing would work, always messages saying that it was missing software or something. It gave me the option to reinstall windows 7 but it still wouldn't let me.

I basically gave up for the night but now this morning, it would't even load up to the list. It would say it was loading the files then the windows start up page then it would go blank with my cursor. I've tried looking online again but they only suggest pressing f8 or f10 which doesn't work as the message "No operating system".

I looked on the BIOS page and on the night it showed (none) next to hard drive but this morning its showing the 320gb hard drive.

I've tried taking the battey out and ac adapter then turning it on.

I've ordered a new hard drive to try it but obviously it's not here yet.

I also did a diagnostic scan and it found an error code 0f00 1332 and it being a time out problem?

I've tried pretty much everything!!

I might just take it to get looked at by somebody but if anyone knows of anything i can do myself, please let me know!!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

April 30th, 2011 17:00

Hi Natalieann1990,

Yes, it's time for a new drive, I'm afraid. You'll need to install the drive as shown here <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>, then reinstall the operating system as described here.

Good luck!

May 1st, 2011 05:00

Where can i get a hard drive from? Are they expensive?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 1st, 2011 07:00

One nice replacement drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136692

1 Message

August 16th, 2011 21:00

I am having the same issue... I have not reinstalled the OS yet... somehow I made it to a DOS prompt... my "C" drive is empty, but my "D" drive still has my files, pictures, etc. Does the hard drive come partitioned? Is there anyway I can still back up those files?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

August 19th, 2011 12:00

Try creating a bootable USB stick with Linux Fedora and copy all your files from your system to an external hard drive. See here for details.

Once created. Power down your system and hold F12 at startup (Dell BIOs screen). Select boot from USB let everything load and attach an external hard drive.

Copy all you need.

May 27th, 2022 03:00

i had this problem but nvm i dont use this laptop anyways its olderthan me

No Events found!