Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 23rd, 2005 07:00

Inspiron 2650 - CD-drive does not read properly

I have a Dell Inspiron 2650 with Windows XP. It has CD-RW/DVD combo.

When I insert a CD, it tries to read it. I can hear the noise while CD is rotating inside. But after a while it just stops after faiing to properly read the CD.

I replaced three files, autoexec.nt, config.nt, and command.com from Windows CD but this solution did not work.

I tested; the CD's work on other computers, so it's problem with CD-drive on my laptop. Could someone please help me to resolve this problem? Thank you!

rashmik

8 Posts

March 23rd, 2005 09:00

Hi,

Please follow the below mentioned steps.

The first thing you need to do is reseat the optical drive and to do the same please follow the following link

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> 

After reseating the optical drive do check if the system boots using a bootable disk. Bootable disk would be your operating system disk.

Please complete all these steps to boot through operating system disk :

1. Turn the computer completely off.

2. Restart the computer and start tapping "F12" key at the first Dell logo screen.

3. You will see one time boot menu listing a couple of options to boot the computer from.

Note : You may or may not see the one time boot menu depending on the Hard Drive content. If you don't see it the first time, please repeat

the steps above. If you still don't see it, you probably need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS and boot off the XP cd.

4. Insert the Windows XP CD in the drive now.

5. Select "CD/DVD" option from this screen and press "Enter" key.

6. The computer will display a message asking to "Press any key to boot from the CD".

7. Press any key on the keyboard immediately as you will have only 3 seconds to press a key.

8. Now you should see a blue screen with Windows Setup written on top.

***Please check for the same by following the above mentioned steps and then mail me back the results***

Regards,

Leslie

March 23rd, 2005 16:00

Thanks Leslie for your quick and elongated solution. Sorry that I failed to mention one thing. Sometimes CD-ROM does read the CD or DVD. I had a video CD which it properly read yesterday. Problem is that it reads only few of the CD's and most of the CDs are not read.

I was thinking CD-ROM is not able to auto-execute the CD, and so i replaced those NT files if in case they were affected but it did not help.

Do you still think it's problem with optical drive, because CD-ROM does read some CDs/DVDs but only few? Thank you very much for your help!

rashmik

8 Posts

April 14th, 2005 10:00

Hello Rashmik,

I was just gng through your reply but then you didn't mention what was the result after you tried the steps that I gave you earlier. Please let me know of the same soon so that I can suggest few more steps that you can go for.

Warm regards

Leslie

No Events found!