Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 31st, 2008 20:00

Inspiron 510M Drivers

Hi to all Dell Owners. I have just purchased a new hard Drive for my Inspiron 510M after 3 years.

I have the windows XP Disc to install but I am not sure exactly what I need to do .

When I install the XP  system to my notebook hard drive do I have to install drivers as well from the Dell website and if so How do I do this. Will I be able to log on to the website after the Xp is installed or do I have to save the downloads to a disc or removable hard drive . i a have never done this before , is it really simple ? I would appreciate some advice.

May 31st, 2008 21:00

Many Thanks

But at what stage do I install drivers after the XP disc is loaded ?, will I be prompted to do so on a menu? I  have a folder of Dell drivers in my C/ drive , 5 actually with just number and letter titles , Do I just add  or install in any order or which comes first. Thanks. Mark

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 31st, 2008 21:00

You need at least the Dell notebook system software, the chipset driver and the driver for whatever you use to connect to the Internet - wired, wireless or modem.  Install those in that order and you can then install the other (audio, video, etc.) drivers.  Or, back up the c:\dell directory to a CD or flash drive - the drivers are in there.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 31st, 2008 22:00

You need to install the notebook system software and chipset driver first, immediately after installing Windows.  After that you can install the other drivers in any order.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Notebook system software:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=3601&libid=7&releaseid=R171887&vercnt=5&formatcnt=0&SystemID=LATITUDE%20D510&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1

Chipset driver:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/format.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&deviceid=1134&libid=27&releaseid=R114079&vercnt=2&formatcnt=0&SystemID=LATITUDE%20D510&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&catid=-1&impid=-1 

Ok But Where do I find the notebook system software and chipset driver? I cant find it in my files and folders
No Events found!