Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 16th, 2009 09:00

Inspiron 530 Primary HDD upgrade to SSD

I have an Inspiron 530 that I'm going to put Windows 7 on. I thought that rather than trying to upgrade the OS, I'd add an new primary drive to do a clean install of 7 on and make my existing drive the secondary drive for data. Along the same thought process, I thought going with an Solid State Drive for the primary drive would give an additional performance boost.

Does anyone know of any "gotchas" that would keep me from using a SSD as my primary drive on my 530?

3.7K Posts

September 17th, 2009 03:00

Hi Dhorlo, All hard drives now are plug 'n' play, which includes the new SSD  drives, so you will have no problems using that drive on an 530.

7 Posts

December 2nd, 2013 01:00

how do i mount the smaller ssd drive which is 2.5" in the existing drive bay which is 3.5 "?? can i use the generic adapter sleds /bays or do i need a special dell proprietary adapter to mount it in the 530? looking at my current hdd it seems to mount at the top of the hdd with 4 screws instead of on the side.

4 Posts

September 17th, 2009 08:00

Thanks Robin. I had read on some other forums of motherboards needing BIOS updates before the SSDs could be used. Hopefully the 530 is not one of them.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

December 2nd, 2013 07:00

salsaguy

I installed my SSD in the floppy drive/reader 3.5" bay of the 530 MT, using a bracket similar to this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817986011

Bev.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

December 3rd, 2013 20:00

Silverstone adapter that features all the mount points of a standard 3.5-inch drive.

4 Posts

January 7th, 2014 11:00

I didn't have any problems using a SSD and I did do a clean install. I've since replaced this with a new PC that also uses a SSD. I haven't run into any problems with using SSD drives but I've never tried one in conjunction with a RAID configuration. 

1 Message

January 7th, 2014 11:00

Hey, did you have any issues installing your SSD? Did you do a clean windows install or clone your old HDD thanks. I am doing a clone which I have been told is ok to do but when I try to boot from the SSD after enabling RAID it doesn't boot, any ideas? Mine is an inspiron 530.

4 Posts

January 7th, 2014 14:00

What if any changes did you have to do in the bios before booting it up with the SSD and doing a clean install with the Windows disk/thumb drive? No changes to BIOS, clean install from Widows Disc.

Did you encounter any issues with the drivers? No.

I will be going from Vista home premium 64 bit too win 7 64 bit. I went to Win7 32-bit so I can't speak for the 64-bit version.

7 Posts

January 7th, 2014 14:00

What if any changes did you have to do in the bios before booting it up with the SSD and doing a clean install with the Windows disk/thumb drive? Did you encounter any issues with the drivers? I will be going from Vista home premium 64 bit too win 7 64 bit. Thanks
No Events found!