Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 30th, 2011 13:00

Inspiron 530s hard drive fails targeted read test

My inspiron 530s suddenly started having a problem where it wouldn't wake up from sleep mode. When the mouse was clicked , the fan would run full speed and the blue power light was flashing. I've had a couple times where the power light comes on yellow when the computer is first turned on and after a while finally boots. I ran virus and malware programs and it didn't help. I took it to a pc repair shop and they reset the cmos and tweaked the bios. I got it back and it does the same thing. I got on the dell website and downloaded the pc checkup. The smart test timed out when I ran the scan. Now the hard drive fails the targeted read test and gives the code WHD20-6SS. I think I might need to replace the hard drive but am not sure. Can someone please help?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

hittman 

Try running Dell Diagnostics extended test on the hard drive.

The instructions for using Dell's Diagnostics Utility, are HERE

Bev.

10 Posts

I'm sorry, I was confused. The test I ran was the one I think they call the PSA test on the website. I'll go do the one you said and report back.

10 Posts

Osprey, thanks for your help. I already did that and got these messages.

error code: 0F00:065D / Disk 0-self-test read error

error code: 0F00:137B / DVDRW_1- disk is missing/ blank, insert data disk

From what I've read, the second one is just because there wasn't a disk in the dvd drive

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

Hi Hittman,

I'd like you to run the Dell diagnostic on your drive using your drivers and utilities disc. To test your hard drive using your Dell Drivers and Utilities disc:

1. Reboot your system. When you see the Dell logo, hit F12 to enter the boot menu.

2. Insert the Dell Drivers and Utilities disc in your CD/DVD drive.

3. Pick the option to boot from the CD/DVD drive.

4. You will be prompted to hit any key to continue booting from the CD/DVD drive.

5. You will be prompted to hit 1 to run the Dell diagnostics. You may see two such menus.

6. Select Test System.

7. Select Custom Test.

7. Use the arrow keys or mouse to select your hard drive.

9. Click Run Tests.

10. Write down any error messages.

10 Posts

July 30th, 2011 20:00

I ran the scan you suggested and it was still running seven hours later. I finally got tired of waiting for it to finish and ended the scan. I did get one message that said: 0F00:244 / disk_0-block 57431760/ can't read, replace disk or remove write protection. Does this mean the hard drive is failing?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 30th, 2011 21:00

hittman

Yes, the hard drive showing "Read Test",Error Code 0F00:0244 errors is failing/failed and you need to replace it.

If you still have a Dell warranty in effect, contact Dell for a replacement hard drive, no warranty, buy a SATA, 3.5", 7200rpm, internal hard drive, check out the Western Digital and Seagate hard drives.

Bev.

10 Posts

July 31st, 2011 08:00

Thank you. It is not under warranty. I think it's about 3-4 years old but has been running perfectly until recently. From what I understand, the new hard drive can be installed and I should be able to copy a mirror image on to it with the program that western digital offers on their website. I'm not 100% sure exactly how to do it. When I plug in the new hard drive is there anything I have to do to it or will there be directions? I was thinking I would plug it in while leaving the old one in, run the program to copy it, and then try booting from the new one. Is there a jumper or anything I need to set on the new drive?

10 Posts

July 31st, 2011 08:00

I have one more question. I was thinking to replace this western digital hard drive with another one from WD and was looking on the best buy website. There are a few that are the same size(1TB) but different models and prices. I'm not sure which one to go with. I think the current one I have is a caviar black but there is another one that is cheaper and the same price. Would that be good enough?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2011 09:00

I have one more question. I was thinking to replace this western digital hard drive with another one from WD and was looking on the best buy website. There are a few that are the same size(1TB) but different models and prices. I'm not sure which one to go with. I think the current one I have is a caviar black but there is another one that is cheaper and the same price. Would that be good enough?

hittman

Yes, that should work.

Bev

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2011 09:00

hittman

There should be instructions for using the imaging utility on WDC website, read the insructions carefully prior to imaging the hard drives.

Personally I would also download and print them for a reference.

First, install the new drive as the secondary and image the exsisting primary hard drive to it.

After imaging immediately shut the system down, switch the data cable [SATA port 0] to the new drive, making the new hard drive the master and see if the system boots correctly.

Boot the system with only the new hard drive connected.

How to install a second SATA hard drive.

There is a spare power connector inside the case for a second hard drive, but you will need to buy a SATA data cable simiar to HERE, try to buy the cable from a local computer store to save the S & H.

See HERE, P3,P5 and P6 are SATA power connectors.

The procedures for installing a second SATA hard drive in the 530s, are HERE

As this is a Slim case, you will need to purchase , 4 x Dell Hard Drive Shoulder Mounting Screws, the part number is *WN322* and these can be purchased from Dell Spare parts @ 1-800-357-3355, M-F 7 to 7 CDT and have system's "Service Tag" handy.

After installing the drive enter the system setup and check that the SATA port the hard drive is connected is 'enabled' [on] and the drive is recognized.

For Vista/Windows 7, to recognize the second hard drive, it must be partitioned and formatted.

Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Computer Management, Storage, Disk Management, right click new drive, select format, then you can assign a drive letter.

Bev.

Bev.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 31st, 2011 11:00

hittman

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

10 Posts

July 31st, 2011 11:00

Once again thank you for all your help. We are leaving for a short two day vacation in a couple days and I think I'll wait to tackle replacing the hard drive until we get back since the computer is still operational but just having the sleep/ wakeup problems I mentioned in the first post. I have an external hard drive with everything backed up right now so should be in good shape until I am ready. Thank you.

10 Posts

August 13th, 2011 07:00

I finally got around to replacing the hard drive last night. I bought a western digital caviar black 1tb drive and used true image to clone the drive. I ran the pc checkup on the new hard drive last night just out of curiosity and it passed all tests. I woke up this morning and I was still having the original problem which is when the computer won't wake up out of sleep mode and the fan is running very loudly. I have to power it off manually and restart it. Also, when I power back up, the blue power light is flashing on the front but if I restart thru windows after that then the blue light will come on solid like normal. Any suggestions?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

August 13th, 2011 17:00

I think it's time for a clean installation of the operating system.

10 Posts

August 14th, 2011 10:00

Do you mean reformat the new drive or just reinstall the operating system(windows vista 64)? I read an article yesterday where someone said that they had the exact same problem as I do and they changed the power management option in the F2 setup screen from s3 to s1 and that took care of their problem. The thing I don't understand is why did it work fine for so long and then all of a sudden start doing this. I haven't added any new hardware for some time and the only thing I can think of is a software update. I do know that the new hard drive seems to run things a little faster than the old one and the old one did fail the diagnostics where the new one passes so I may have avoided a future problem by going ahead and replacing it but obviously it wasn't the cause of my problem. Yesterday I turned the sleep mode off and set the monitor to turn off after 20 minutes and set the hard drive to turn off after 25 minutes and it didn't do it. I don't know if that really tells me anything or not. I wonder if I really need to use the sleep mode or not?

No Events found!