Highlighted
2 Bronze

RE: Inspiron 7459 mSATA or M.2

Thank you so much for your response, I really appreciate it!

I have ordered the same SSD as you and look forward to installing it. I will be cloning the HDD to the SSD and then I will reformat the HDD for just storage duties. What type of boot times are you achieving?

To answer your question, fortunately I don't have the noise that you seem to be experiencing. I used to have a lot of fan noise but since the latest bios update that has stopped. The machine is actually very quiet now.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

You'r welcome. I have used AHCI boot mode in my configuration but I installed clean Windows. changing the boot mode may cause you old Windows to crash at startup. Anyway you need to turn off "caching" (intel smart response) to free the SSD to be used as generic drive.. I think you should play with it a little.. Please describe the recipe of copying Windows from HDD to SSD and making it bootable when have success with it.

Also note that if you copy all backup partitions from hdd to ssd you will loose about 12gb of SSD on it (this is the size of all additional partitions).. 512 Gb is not so much as I noticed 🙂

Since you have such model and do not have electrical noise problems I'm going to call service for it, thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

I will post the recipe when I have worked it all out. The SSD is not due to arrive for another 2 weeks so I have a bit of time to look into it. Transcend have their own cloning software that I plan on using which should make it easier.

All the best sorting out your noise problem.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

Hi, the electrical noise is quite common on Dells. Disabling C-Step and power options for the processor in BIOS usually helps a lot. I had to disable it on my E7450 and this Inspiron 7459 too. You can still hear it, but it is much better. There is just one option in BIOS for it, on 7459.

I have several problems with this model. The noise (I kind of tolerate it), my 32 GB SSD is not showing up in Windows as a drive (I installed Windows on the main drive with AHCI enabled), and the second M.2 port is flooding my event log with PCIE errors (but the wifi module that is plugged in it works). The BIOS is terrible, there is no settings. It took me a while to figure out how to make the 940M a primary GC. 

Keep us informed about the SSD progress please. I would like to replace the 32 GB stock one too.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Sorry but, how do you force  nvidia to be the main GC? Using Windows  I cannot obtain UHD resolution with  an external HDMI display and everything shows that it cannot be done (I've made an extensive search on Internet). BUT kubuntu can drive the display in UHD easily! (I have double boot) I have to do nothing but plug it and voila! If anyone have configured an external UHD display, I would appreciate your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

The event log flooding was caused by the wifi card (btw Dell 1801 is a *** one - old model with single band). I ordered a replacement module. 

The SSD problem was a "bug" - I had to switch BIOS to RAID, install Intel Rapid Storage, "clear metadata" for that drive, and switch back to AHCI. Now it is showing as regular drive (*** as well, seq write will not exceed 80 MBs).

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 Bronze

For anyone still interested, I managed to get this to work eventually. I needed to use Macrium cloning software instead of the Transcend software however.

Once I cloned the HDD to the new m2 SATA SSD the SSD was not recognised in the boot menu of the BIOS. I needed to run the boot repair facility from the Macrium software and then it worked like a dream. I have reformatted the original HDD for storage only.

It's been 3 weeks now and all running well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Hello, I've got Dell Inspiron 7459 too and I've already bought new SSD instead of 32GB M.2 preinstalled, working as a cache for HDD drive. To be more specific I've put inside Transcend MTS400 256GB.
Here problems started showing up. First, I couldn't install new Windows 10 on the Transcend 256GB. Error 0x80300024 has been showing up every time I've been trying to install Windows from a bootable USB on a empty SSD that I've replaced. Than I tried to format system partition at HDD - didn't work too. After dozen of attempts I pulled out the HDD and than it finally worked - Windows 10 succesfully installed. Next I put my HDD back inside and now it's finally visible in the Windows tool responsible for viewing, changing and formating hard drives. 

What is my point. On the HDD I've got 3 partitions that I'm not sure what are they for. Could anyone expain me weather deleting it can cause any problems ? I'd like to have new clean Windows. I'd like to know if I can bring system back to the default configuration as Dell brought it to me when I purchased it and how to do that?

1. System partition EFI ( 500 MB )

2. Recovery partition (890 MB)

3. Recovery partition (14,30 GB)

And two more issues. After installing a new system on Transcend 256GB my right-screen sided controls responsible for display brightness adjusting do not react at all. How can I make it work again? I downloaded Dell Update assistant and it says that software is up to date. I have no idea how to solve it. I've already tried to change Windows registers like this (there's no effect though):

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000

FeatureTestControl = 0x0000ffff (65535)  (value before: 0x00008200)

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001

FeatureControl = 0x0000ffff (65535)  (value before 0x00000004)

The second one is that when i run my computer first I see is black screen for about 15 seconds, than Dell logo shows up for 8/10 seconds (with loading bar below and inscriptions in the right down corner what for are F2(bios) and F12(booting setup) - it has never been there before). After that Windows loads and it takes about 6/8 seconds which is good enough I think. Any ideas how to get rid off that black screen and loading bar below Dell's logo?

I'll be very greatful for any help! 🙂

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 7459 mSATA or M.2

Mine is M.2 32gb used for cache. It caused a bunch of problems so I ended up removing it completely and replaced the 5400 rpm data drive with a hybrid drive.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 7459 mSATA or M.2

I do not want to Necro this thread but it might be good informations for whoever looking to upgrade the harddrive. I got a Transcend M.2 SSD 128Go (2242 size) and it work just fine. It's detected as a regular harddrive straight after install from the bios. This board does NOT support nvme drives but it does support regular M.2 drives with B+M notch. 

0 Kudos