Storage, Drives & Media

Last reply by 04-11-2021 Solved
Start a Discussion
2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Inspiron 7559 not detecting Samsung 960 Evo M.2

My Inspiron 7559 is not detecting Samsung 960 Evo M.2. I have updated the BIOS and also intel drivers and Dell drivers. I have also tried to disable SATA (as I read this might help) however in BIOS 'SATA Operation' only has two options: AHCI and ATA -- I have it set to AHCI. I have also disabled 'secure boot' as have read this might assist. I have  tried the Samsung_NVM Express Driver and not surprisingly it does not detect the drive. Finally I have checked that the Evo is inserted correctly and it is. I have attached a doc with speccy info if that helps. Any advice  would be appreciated. Martin

Solutions (2)

Accepted Solutions
Admin
Admin

Thank you for your message.

Inspiron 7559 has a Sata III interface & will work with Samsung 850.

Samsung 950 uses PCIe  NVMe interface which is not compatible with this model.

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

View solution in original post

Community Accepted Solution
10 Diamond

Make sure your system is on the latest BIOS - and that AHCI is enabled (the system likely shipped with RAID enabled).  You'll also need to load the Samsung NVMe drivers when you install Windows 10 onto the drive.

View solution in original post

Replies (17)
Admin
Admin

Thank you for your message.

Inspiron 7559 has a Sata III interface & will work with Samsung 850.

Samsung 950 uses PCIe  NVMe interface which is not compatible with this model.

Dell-SreejithR
Social Media Support
#IWork4Dell

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Hi

I have Dell inspiron 7560 core i7/8GB/128gb SSD/1TBHDD i need to upgrade exiting 128 gb Hynix SSD  to samsung 960 EVO but no luck it is not detecting the SSD can somebody help on this matter presently i have the latest BIOS 1.1.6.

Himanshu Pathak

10 Diamond

The 960 EVO is an NVMe drive.  Your system supports only SATA drives - you'll need to return the  960 EVO and get the SATA version (from Samsung that's the 850)

www.samsung.com/.../

Hi, I wanted to check if: Samsung 1TB 860 EVO SATA III M.2 Internal SSD. It is compatible with my Inspiron 7559. Thank

Yes, the Samsung EVO 860 1TB will work fine. It's only the EVO 9xx that won't work in Inspiron 7559. I have a EVO 860 1TB in my Inspiron 7559 and it works, so I can say this from experience.

How did you get it to work? Can you share? I have an Inspiron 15 7559 - and I have a Rocket Q NMVe PCIe M.2 2280 SSD. The system does not recognize the drive in the bios. Help! Thank you in advance.

2 Bronze
2 Bronze

Here i have seen some of the users has tried and get the results

10 Diamond

Not in this model - yes, there are Dell systems that support NVMe drives.  Your 7559 is not one of them -  you must use a SATA drive.

Why the notebook have the NVMe entrance? Can Dell update the BIOS to make it compatible? Does the motherboard have support?

Top Contributor
Latest Solutions